Question Dead Ryukin Goldfish

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We had a ryukin goldfish for all of a week (7 days) and woke up this morning to him dead.
He's in a 20 gal tank with 4 neon tetras and 2 Cory catfish and we were planning on moving him to his own bigger tank in 2 weeks. He was only a baby at about 2 inches long.

Yesterday he was acting fine, nothing suspicious going on. Eating normal. This morning he was dead. None of the other fish are dead or acting sick, though we are treating the tank for a fungus that the goldfish and 4 tetras have/had.

*Ammonia was 1ppm (I've already done a water change and added prime)
*Nitrites were at about .1 since it was between colors on my apI master kit chart
*Nitrates are at 20
* Ph is 7.2
*Temperature is 78

He ate a lot of sand so idk if that had anything to do with it

Aharkins

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m still new at all of this, but I am curious. How long has the tank been set up? Looking at your profile, I’m guessing the tank hasn’t fully cycled yet?

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aharkins said:
I’m still new at all of this, but I am curious. How long has the tank been set up? Looking at your profile, I’m guessing the tank hasn’t fully cycled yet?
It wasn't, I was doing an in fish cycle with TSS. I'd thought that was it but the levels weren't too terrible and everyone else is fine so I'm just boggled about what killed him

Aharkins

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If he came from a chain store, he might have just been inbred or unhealthy from the start. I had a batch of guppies that all died within a week and just chalked it up to that. Or maybe your tank wasn’t ready for more additions, I’ve read with fish in cycles to try and keep it at 1, maybe 2 fish per 10 gallons.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aharkins said:
If he came from a chain store, he might have just been inbred or unhealthy from the start. I had a batch of guppies that all died within a week and just chalked it up to that. Or maybe your tank wasn’t ready for more additions, I’ve read with fish in cycles to try and keep it at 1, maybe 2 fish per 10 gallons.
I didn't have much of a choice but to put him in the tank or I'd have waited. My mom bought him on a whI'm bc he was being seriously bullied at the store so I had to put him someplace xD otherwise I was going to stick with my 4 tetras while cycling

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Any chance of gill flukes? Goldfish should be able to survive much higher ammonia levels, though it will damage them. AI'm for 0.25ppm while fish in cycling, try for less since neons aren't that hardy

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
Any chance of gill flukes? Goldfish should be able to survive much higher ammonia levels, though it will damage them. AI'm for 0.25ppm while fish in cycling, try for less since neons aren't that hardy
I honestly have no idea. He looked perfectly healthy but he was the first goldfish I'd ever had.
Yeah in testing every day and using prime to keep it down but we're in the process of packing to move so I lapsed in checking

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you happen to have a pic of him before he passed? And you may want to treat for gill flukes just in case. Got any meds with Praziquantel by any chance?

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
Do you happen to have a pic of him before he passed? And you may want to treat for gill flukes just in case. Got any meds with Praziquantel by any chance?
Yeah I have one from two days ago.
Uummm I don't think so?
I have:
Korgan rid fungus
Super ick cure
Pimafix
Melafix
Bettafix
Meth. Blue
IMG_20190311_135412.jpg
IMG_20190311_135329.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry man, I don't think I can help too much.
DoubleDutch and Skavatar may have some more ideas

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
Sorry man, I don't think I can help too much.
DoubleDutch and Skavatar may have some more ideas
Someone mentioned its possible he was just inbred or sick from the store. He was from petco so a chain store so I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the case. Everyone else seems completely healthy so it was just super weird to go from just fine to dead within 12 hours

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zai said:
Someone mentioned its possible he was just inbred or sick from the store. He was from petco so a chain store so I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the case. Everyone else seems completely healthy so it was just super weird to go from just fine to dead within 12 hours
I have no doubts that he was sick to begin with, but I'm hoping they may be able to give a more specific answer, just in case it can be passed to the neons.
Either way, I don't think there was anything else you could have done for him

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
I have no doubts that he was sick to begin with, but I'm hoping they may be able to give a more specific answer, just in case it can be passed to the neons.
Either way, I don't think there was anything else you could have done for him
I hope not either. theyve been through a lot and stood strong, I lucked out and got some hardy little ones at least

CandyCane701

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zai said:
Yeah I have one from two days ago.
Uummm I don't think so?
I have:
Korgan rid fungus
Super ick cure
Pimafix
Melafix
Bettafix
Meth. Blue
IMG_20190311_135412.jpg
IMG_20190311_135329.jpg
Did he always have that white dot on his tail fin?

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CandyCane701 said:
Did he always have that white dot on his tail fin?
No, it was a fungus I was treating with Kordon Rid Fungus as 3 of the tetras have fungus as well.

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
that's too bad... you know when I got my goldfish 1/2 of them died it was awful so I feel your pain

I felt so bad but sometimes things fall out of your control
the ammonia in the water probably didn't help whatever was going on internally/externally
I think most goldfish come with internal parasites

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Addie42 said:
that's too bad... you know when I got my goldfish 1/2 of them died it was awful so I feel your pain

I felt so bad but sometimes things fall out of your control
the ammonia in the water probably didn't help whatever was going on internally/externally
I think most goldfish come with internal parasites
He was at least happy the last few days of his life, so that's a silver lining I suppose

New Threads