Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Dead Ryukin Goldfish Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Zai, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ZaiValued MemberMember

We had a ryukin goldfish for all of a week (7 days) and woke up this morning to him dead.
    He's in a 20 gal tank with 4 neon tetras and 2 Cory catfish and we were planning on moving him to his own bigger tank in 2 weeks. He was only a baby at about 2 inches long.

Yesterday he was acting fine, nothing suspicious going on. Eating normal. This morning he was dead. None of the other fish are dead or acting sick, though we are treating the tank for a fungus that the goldfish and 4 tetras have/had.

*Ammonia was 1ppm (I've already done a water change and added prime)
    *Nitrites were at about .1 since it was between colors on my api master kit chart
    *Nitrates are at 20
    * Ph is 7.2
    *Temperature is 78

He ate alot of sand so idk if that had anything to do with it

2. AharkinsNew MemberMember

I’m still new at all of this, but I am curious. How long has the tank been set up? Looking at your profile, I’m guessing the tank hasn’t fully cycled yet?

3. ZaiValued MemberMember

It wasn't, I was doing an in fish cycle with TSS. I'd thought that was it but the levels weren't too terrible and everyone else is fine so Im just boggled about what killed him

4. AharkinsNew MemberMember

If he came from a chain store, he might have just been inbred or unhealthy from the start. I had a batch of guppies that all died within a week and just chalked it up to that. Or maybe your tank wasn’t ready for more additions, I’ve read with fish in cycles to try and keep it at 1, maybe 2 fish per 10 gallons.

5. ZaiValued MemberMember

I didn't have much of a choice but to put him in the tank or I'd have waited. My mom bought him on a whim bc he was being seriously bullied at the store so I had to put him someplace xD otherwise I was going to stick with my 4 tetras while cycling

6. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Any chance of gill flukes? Goldfish should be able to survive much higher ammonia levels, though it will damage them. Aim for 0.25ppm while fish in cycling, try for less since neons aren't that hardy

7. ZaiValued MemberMember

I honestly have no idea. He looked perfectly healthy but he was the first goldfish I'd ever had.
    Yeah in testing every day and using prime to keep it down but we're in the process of packing to move so I lapsed in checking

8. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Do you happen to have a pic of him before he passed? And you may want to treat for gill flukes just in case. Got any meds with Praziquantel by any chance?

9. ZaiValued MemberMember

Yeah I have one from two days ago.
    Uummm I don't think so?
    I have:
    Korgan rid fungus
    Super ick cure
    Pimafix
    Melafix
    Bettafix
    Meth. Blue
    IMG_20190311_135412.jpgIMG_20190311_135329.jpg

10. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

11. ZaiValued MemberMember

Someone mentioned its possible he was just inbred or sick from the store. He was from petco so a chain store so i wouldn't be too surprised if this was the case. Everyone else seems completely healthy so it was just super weird to go from just fine to dead within 12 hours :(

12. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I have no doubts that he was sick to begin with, but I'm hoping they may be able to give a more specific answer, just in case it can be passed to the neons.
    Either way, I don't think there was anything else you could have done for him :(

13. ZaiValued MemberMember

i hope not either. theyve been through alot and stood strong, i lucked out and got some hardy little ones at least

14. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

15. ZaiValued MemberMember

No, it was a fungus i was treating with Kordon Rid Fungus as 3 of the tetras have fungus as well.

16. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

that's too bad... you know when I got my goldfish 1/2 of them died :( it was awful so I feel your pain

I felt so bad but sometimes things fall out of your control
    the ammonia in the water probably didn't help whatever was going on internally/externally
    I think most goldfish come with internal parasites

17. ZaiValued MemberMember

He was at least happy the last few days of his life, so thats a silver lining i suppose