Dead Rainbow Fish.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Boopy Mitch, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Boopy Mitch

Boopy Mitch New Member Member

hi
    I had my 6 red rainbow fish for just over a year and my biggest one has just died today. I also have a rainbow shark and ilebrevis synthonis but I never seen any fighting or else. Just wondering what would have caused his death? All water parameters were good (checked at LFS)

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

If you mean the one on the top. He has quite ragged fins, and they seem to bit torn, or bitten.

3. Dovah

Dovah Well Known Member Member

Do you know what your exact parameters were? "Good" is a subjective term.

Were there any outward signs of illness? Behavioral changes? Are your other fish acting healthy?

What are ilebrevis synthonis?

Edit: Just noticed your attached picture. (Getting used to this layout.) To me it looks like it could be velvet or a fungus.

4. OP
    OP
    Boopy Mitch

Dovah

The water parameters I had done a my LFS and they just said good and nothing wrong with it.

I didn't notice any behaviour changes and at the moment all my other fishing are eating and acting 'normal'.

Ilebrevis synodontis are a catfish very similiar to the synodontis petricola.

Thankyou

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Did it have any patchy sores on it? It looks like it might have from the picture, but hard to tell.

6. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Hard to say for sure. Dead fish seem to go off really quick. They go from alive->dead but looks normal->Puffy white, fluffy and ragged in an hour or two. Everything will nibble dead fish pretty much.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get exact water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

LFS employees don't always know what they're doing, and will tell you your water is fine when it's really not.

What size tank is this?

8. OP
    OP
    Boopy Mitch

TexasDomer

250 litre tank and I will go and get the exact parameters hopefully today.

Vikingkirken

He does have a white patch on him (attached picture)

Attached Files:

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The patch could be from decomposition or other fish picking at him after death.

10. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

@NavigatorBlack is one of the rainbowfish experts on here, maybe he can help out with this as well.

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

There are more suspects than I can list. The fish has started to decompose, and has been scavenged a little. The fins etc say very little, except that the other fish batted the corpse around.
    Prime suspects?
    Probably not water. We always blame the cycle, but it's rarely the culprit with year old fish.
    Red rainbow shark? If he managed to get a good shot in, he would have done it. No doubt, he wants to.
    So would another red rainbow male. They fight, and as they age and grow, males become more intolerant. Glossolepis incisus does fight for rank, and they can kill each other quickly. The fish under the corpse is carrying dominant colours... That's a clue. You may a new alpha.
    A shark/barb gets nastier with age too. Both would end up in the uncomfortable interview room of the fishy first 48. I would give the Synodontis ilebrevis a break. Not a prime suspect.
    He could also have simply died - an organ failure, or any of the same sort of out of the blue bad luck that happens to anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice