Dead pregnant guppy

1. i

ivanjay2 Valued Member Member

I recently had a pregnant guppy die, reason unknown, I've been gone for a week and a friend has fed them for me, its a ten gallon tank with a heater, filter, and many fake plants, the tank had 2 pregnant female guppies but one died reason unknown , I know it couldn't have been the other guppy cause they swim together, any thoughts? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    i

I'm out of town, these are pictures I received, I can't remember the old ones, the ammonia and 3 others were fine, I'm not sure of others

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

What are the parameters? How long has it been up and running, has she seemed stress? How's the other? She could have just had a miscarriage and it resulted unfortunately. I'm sorry for your loss.:(
    Edit: never mind about parameters

5. OP
    OP
    i

Its been running for 3 weeks, they were recently both in another ten gallon tank. The water was much worse in that tank, this tank is cleaner, they haven't been stressed, they swam together everywhere so I really don't have an idea and yeah I'm 4 hours away from my fish, I really wanted many guppies. I hope the other survives and has many successful fry

6. Aquaphobia

7. OP
    OP
    i

I probably didn't cycle it long enough

8. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

To me it sounds like she had a miscarriage, perhaps previous stress caused or parameters. Not being cycled is my guess, but I can't say for sure. Just so you know, you'll be overrun with fry quickly. I wouldn't suggest breeding them unless you know you have somewhere to give them too.

9. OP
    OP
    i

Thank you! I come home tomorrow morning, I'll update you all!

10. Aquaphobia

Until your tank is processing all added ammonia within 24 hours and you'reconsistently reading zero ammonia and nitrites and some level of nitrates then you're not cycled.

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

There is no set time for cycling a tank. It cycles, when it cycles (it's a whole biological process). I have a feeling you possibly do not have a full understanding of the nitrogen cycle. Click and the words and it will take you to an article that explains it. It is truly the most important think to understand when keeping fish.

12. OP
    OP
    i

[​IMG]
    Alright, I'm home and here's the tank, I took out the dead guppy, his back fins were ripped as if he was attacked or something with the filter, it could be a miscarriage bc I touched her stomach and her stomach felt very squishy as if nothing was inside but was still bloated as if she was still pregnant, the pregnant mom in the tank seems fine

13. OP
    OP
    i

[​IMG]

14. Aquaphobia