Dead Platys

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Squirrelmanajh, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Squirrelmanajh

Squirrelmanajh Valued Member Member

Over the past couple weeks 3 of my platys have died and I'm not sure why at all. My ammonia and nitrite are both 0 and my nitrate has been a bit high about 50ppm, but I'm doing water changes to get it back down. But the platys have had way worse levels before bc they went through the cycling of the tank before I knew about such things. I had them for 11ish months. The first two just died out of the blue with no signs of sickness or anything. The third's fins started to appear torn/dissolved/damaged shortly before he died. None of my other fish are showing any signs of disease. If anyone has any ideas of what could have happened that'd be great!

2. Daniostetras

Daniostetras Valued Member Member

Were they old? When you got them, were they already very mature? They may have died from age. I'm sorry for your loss.

3. OP
    OP
    Squirrelmanajh

Idk, I got them from Petsmart, but I don't know for sure how to tell how old they were. But that is a possibility I had considered.

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish. :(
    Its hard to say but you mentioned your nitrates have been high and also that they had been higher previously. It may have been just the stress of that. It's really hard to say if you didn't notice any outward signs such as disease/fungus.
    Did you add any new equipment/decor? What about ph? Have you checked to see if maybe there was a high or a low in there?

5. OP
    OP
    Squirrelmanajh

I added some Java Moss, but that was after the first had died. I don't check ph often but it's always been right around 8.2ish everytime.

6. Daniostetras

Daniostetras Valued Member Member

I'm not sure how correct I am about this, but isn't that ph a bit high? If so, the combination of stress from that and the nitrates might have been too much over extended periods of time.

7. OP
    OP
    Squirrelmanajh

Thats an interesting suggestion. Can anyone verify that that might be a cause?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice