Dead Platy!!! Please Help My Diagnose My Other Platy Help

1. LindseyAquamarine

LindseyAquamarine New Member Member

I need some help.

I have a male and female Platy who aren't acting their usual selves. About 2 weeks ago I posted that they were lying on the bottom of the tank and clamping their fins a bit. (See my Post Here) At that point someone recommended I remove the Dwarf Gourami from the tank, as he seemed to be harassing them and causing them stress.

The Gourami no longer being in the tank, I thought they would start acting more normal. However, they still continue to "rest" on the bottom of the tank fairly frequently and their tails aren't as fanned out as I think they should be. I have 2 pictures of the male:

I can't get photos of the female very well, but her tail is also clenched. In addition, her shape is changed. On the belly side of her, where her head meets her body, it looks concave and it's starting to bow in. She wiggles a LOT when she swims, and that's why I can't get a good clear photo of her. But she's starting to look banana-shaped. What's causing that?

I seriously thought they'd be okay if I removed the Gourami, so I'm really sad to see that they're still not okay. Any help, please!!! I really appreciate it!

2. Initiate

Initiate Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    LindseyAquamarine

I have two other female platys in the tank, and they aren't exhibiting any odd behavior. Could it really be the water if only a couple are affected?

I've had the two that are acting sick for about 9 months, and the water's always been a little hard, but everything else is good.

Two weeks ago when I made the first post these were my parameters:
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    pH: 6.5-7.0
    Carbonate Hardness KH: 40
    General Hardness GH: 180

Today's parameter's were the same, although pH was more firmly 7.0:
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    pH: 7.0
    Carbonate Hardness KH: 40
    General Hardness GH: 180

This morning I got a couple pictures of the female while she was laying on the tank bottom. In the second one you can kind of see how her chest is concave.

4. Initiate

Do you test ammonia? Is your tank also reasonably planted?

5. OP
    OP
    LindseyAquamarine

6. OP
    OP
    LindseyAquamarine

Ammonia is non-existent. I'm wondering if it might be something like wasting disease or a parasite or infection?

7. OP
    OP
    LindseyAquamarine

My female platy died today while I was at work, and the male is looking worse.

I'm trying to research diseases to find out what to treat the tank with so my other two females don't succumb as well... HELP PLEASE!

I'm looking at things like Wasting Disease, Flukes, Tail & Fin Rot... I'm not sure how to diagnose this you guys.

Water levels are ALL GOOD AND NORMAL!

Symptoms are CLAMPED FINS, LAYING ON TANK BOTTOM, EMACIATION, WIGGLING TO SWIM/ERRATIC SWIMMING, and possibly lesions? I don't know, it looked as if there was something weird like a cut on my dead fish near her belly (see the first photo below. it's circled in the middle.)

Here's the male. Also very emaciated. Both of their poops seemed normal. I just need to know how to treat the tank before he dies too and possibly infects my other two fish and snails! PLEASE HELP!!!

8. Initiate

It may be did he just develop the curved spine and sunken stomach over the course of a few days, if so I believe the other play will follow suit. He / she doesn't look good I would euthanise to ensure the disease, etc. doesn't spread. The quality of life is also bad for these fish its best to euthanise.

9. Initiate

All symptoms are really odd, some point to stress while parasites could also cause the erratic swimming and emaciation

10. OP
    OP
    LindseyAquamarine

That's why I feel like I can't nail anything down for certain. I wanted to try one more thing before giving up on my male Platy, but I don't think it's helping. I bought the Marineland All-In-One Remedy on Thursday and put it in Thursday night and last night. He doesn't look like he's improving at all.

He's remained on the bottom of the tank for the past couple days, and I've been dropping algae tablets near him in the hope that he'll eat. He nibbled at them a bit at first, but today he seems worse and hasn't touched it.

I don't know how to euthanize a fish. And as far as disease spreading to my other two, how long should I watch them before knowing they haven't caught it and I can add more fish to the tank?

Also, if the medicine doesn't heal my male platy, could it still work as prevention for the other two?

Thanks again for all your help with this!

11. MD_Plants

MD_Plants Well Known Member Member

I would really recommend a large waterchange followed by 20 percent air changes ever day/other day. Also, add an air stone or two in there it definetly seems like it’s in the water.

12. Initiate

The best way to prevent infection of the other two fish is to euthanise. Clove oil is the most humane way to do so. You can buy it from the chemist, usually behind the counter because it's a poison. Look up another thread in the freshwater diesease part on how to euthanise with clove oil.

13. OP
    OP
    LindseyAquamarine

Well, no need to euthanize. My male platy died yesterday too.

Did a 50% water change and added water conditioner. So far the two new females are acting happy and healthy. I'll probably add the snails back in tomorrow or the day after, when I'm sure the medication is no longer in the water.

@MD_Plants how do you do an air change and what is the benefit to having an air stone?

14. MD_Plants

MD_Plants Well Known Member Member

Oh im sorry i meant to say water change haha. I'm not sure if you said before but what filtration are you using? if there isnt enough air in the water, the fish would struggle to obtain the air they need and could show these symptoms. But what concerns me is how they stay on the bottom. Usually if its a lack of air they will still take gulps from the surface, unless the water quality is not the best.

Just re-looked over the post and you said your KH is 40? That's very low for a tank and could be too soft for the platys. Platys prefer KH around 71 - 143 and i would look into this. I also saw that you had plants in there or at least an amazon sword. This should provide enough oxygen in the tank for the fish but ill leave it has a suggestion. Best of luck :)