Dead Panda no warning

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by ford130, Apr 2, 2010.

1. f

ford130 New Member Member

Woke up this morning to a dead panda cory. All was fine last night as I watched them before I headed to bed. Had them about 4 or 5 months now, bought them in a pair. The other one seems fine and is rummaging about on the bottom as normal. Havent done anything different or added anything, just checked my water and Ammonia = 0, Nitrate -= 0, Nitrate = 10 and ph 7.4. Temp is constant 24/75 degrees. This is my first casualty since getting my bigger tank and its upset me and my children because the panda's were our favourite fish. Is it just one of those things or am I doing something wrong. If they have a high mortality rate then I dont think I will replace him and look for something a little more long living to avoid sad faces!!!

Just to add I do a 40 litre water change and gravel vac once a week, rinse out my filter media every other change and change one media element every 4 weeks. Feed the fish on variety of Flake, Frozen bloodworm, Catfish pellets, Algae wafers and Tubiflex.

2. h

hyun007 Valued Member Member

What other fish are there in the tank?
    How often and how much did you feed them?

They are very nice hardy fish, not suppose to die so easily.
    Best in a school of 5-6.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  3. t

timmygt33 Valued Member Member

Perhaps it was just his time...

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Sometimes it just happens... I would say watch the water parameters extra-close for a couple of weeks, maybe do an extra water change.

5. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Pandas in my experience are a little touchy but usually to large temp changes. If he was bought at a LFS it just may have been his time due to other stresses or his/her age.

6. OP
    OP
    f

ford130 New Member Member

I test my water fortnightly and the parameters have never once changed, the ammonia and nitrite are always zero, my ph is always about the 7.4 level, my temperature never changes and the nitrate is between 5 and 10. I feed them once a day (half a dozen pellets or what ever worms drop) and his tank mates are listed in my aquarium info. It wasn't purchased from a large store but a local small aquarium shop that sell just fish and nothing else, not even accessories and they are staffed by fish enthusiasts which is why I buy all my fish from there.

7. h

I think you could be just unlucky with that fish.
    Sometime human being can just died without reason, the same with fish.

If you can afford and if they are cheap at your LFS, have 5-6 of them, they love to be in a school.

8. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

I love pandas! Sorry to here about yours, I have had a number of panda losses in my tank, as you describe, for no apparent reason. It's like one day they are playing and active, the next day, gone.

I have heard from a number of people that pandas are not as hardy as some of the other cories, that this could be a reason. Also that my tank is a bit too warm for them (26*C) I don't know if the 24* your tank is at would also be considered too warm, you might want to look into that. However, you need to also consider the needs of your other fish.

I noticed that your tank was just started in January, a mature tank, to my knowledge is one that has been around for at least 6 months+...being a more delicate fish perhaps a more mature tank would be a better thing for these little cuties.

I have decided to stop trying to stock pandas, if they won't do well in my tank I don't want to keep introducing them to it, you might need to make that decision for yourself. However, this is just one death for you, and there are many other factors that can cause a fish to die, unfortunately that is part of this hobby. It could also be that certain water sources are right for them, others not. Everyones water is treated differently, so that could also be a factor, even after adding water conditioner.

I wish you good luck with your tank and any future pandas you may try, they are such sweet little fish!:;f

9. h

The bottom of my tank is with sand.
    I read they prefer sand bottom or fine gravel.

I have to say, my pot temperature can go above 28degree celcius at time dued to the direct sunlight.
    No casualty for over 1 month.
    Will keep you guys updated if they start floating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice