Dead Panda Cory- Columnaris?

irow

HI all,

When feeding today, I couldn't find one of my panda cories. So I looked for at least 5 minutes, before noticing a pile of fuzz in the corner, and it was inside, dead, seemingly overnight. I got him from petsmart, and the other 4 perished rather quickly from the same fuzz. I know you need to keep cories in a school, so I bought 5 more after, they all died too. Petsmart... my mistake.

Well here's my parameters:
temp: 74 f
ph: 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5-10
Taken before 30% water change yesterday.

Stocking: 20 gallon high
1 bolivian ram
5 harlequin rasboras
6 glowlight tetras
2 (now 1) panda cory

The bolivian ram and rasboras were introduced earlier this week, however the LFS I got them from is pretty trustworthy. I did not quarantine, as this is my only tank. Also, all my other fish -including my other panda cory- are fine, the bolivian is somewhat pale, but he's still new.

Was this just a case of petsmart fish (the other panda cories died of the same symptoms within a week of getting them), or do I need to look out for the health of my other fish? Thanks.

sorry for the wall of text!

AquaticJ

Can you look up “saprolegnia” and tell me if the fuzz looked like that?

irow

Can you look up “saprolegnia” and tell me if the fuzz looked like that?
Yes, kind of. It looked like this fish, but the cory was completely covered in it, almost like a cotton ball.
You must be registered to see images

AquaticJ

Okay so it still could be Columnaris technically, but the big fuzz ball accumulated after death to break it down, you’ll see that on uneaten food as well.

irow

Okay so it still could be Columnaris technically, but the big fuzz ball accumulated after death to break it down, you’ll see that on uneaten food as well.
Do I need to be worried for my other fish?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TerryCHJ
Replies
Views
MMac
Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies
Views