Dead Or Molting?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by Floundering_Around, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Floundering_Around

Floundering_AroundWell Known MemberMember

One of my zebra legged hermits hasn't moved in over week. I wasn't sure if it was dead or not. I flipped over the shell to take a peak but I'm still not sure. I left it in the tank for now just in case.
    65b28416f2a3c86f0fe0c5a2c9d42b98.jpg
    Here's what it looks like. I didn't notice any smell coming from it, which is part of the reason I'm not sure. Please help!

2. Lana1049

Lana1049Valued MemberMember

If it was dead it would have a smell, is that it's molt? Could it have left the shell?

3. corywand

corywandWell Known MemberMember

Maybe take it out and put it in a different tank while you figure it out? You don’t want a dead body contaminating your tank, if it is dead.

4. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

I'm not sure if it did leave it's shell. There was a shell roght next to where it fell.
    The tank they're in now is a little 2.5 gallon "QT" while I wait for my tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

Do hermits switch shells before or after molting? Do they always switch shells when molting? How long does a molt generally take?

6. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

7bf15577bb515289b99181affda03367.jpgbe7e2c8b9c525fb8087c8899ecb9508a.jpg
    Used a pipette to suck out the molt/dead crab and that's what came out. Once it was put of the shell, it was pretty stinky so I'm assuming it's dead.
    I'm confused since the hermit was eating the day before it become unresponsive and the other two are fine