Dead Or Alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquasub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey there, I know the title seems weird, but I am just confused on the behavior of these khaki fish. I bought 4 Khuli fish from my lfs and they all seemed decently healthy, I acclimated them to the temperature for 10 minutes then acclimated them to the pH by putting in scoops of water every 5 minutes for 20 minutes. After when letting them loose in the water 3 of them rapidly swimmer all over until settling somewhere and one of them just slowly managed to swim/ float to a corner, an hour and a half later and they all seem dead. I say seem because they're all lying on their side and top not moving whatsoever
But then when I checked again 2 of them swam about and hid somewhere else, the other one moved a bit and the last one is for sure not moving after touching him with the net.
I am pretty sure the one not moving at all is dead but what do you guys think? Should I was longer for the other ones to get used to the tank or are they heading the same way?
Oh almost forgot
My ammonia and nitrite is 0, nitrate is 20.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had bad luck with my first two attempts to add khulis to my tank. My third attempt went better, once I started doing drip acclimation and leaving the lights off when adding them and for the next day.

They're hardy once they're in, but my experience is that they're easily shocked in the acclimation process, and that didn't end well for three out of my first four :-/

OP
Aquasub

Aquasub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I ended up the two that were not moving because they started losing color and floating upwards
But here is a picture of one of the other two
1d92cb8970603d327f95a67beb71374b.jpg

He moved to that corner and has been sitting there, took me forever to find him.
Other one is probably under the rock cover
b2ee5283ec81b16c5951f7067acd4412.jpg

OP
Aquasub

Aquasub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had bad luck with my first two attempts to add khulis to my tank. My third attempt went better, once I started doing drip acclimation and leaving the lights off when adding them and for the next day.

They're hardy once they're in, but my experience is that they're easily shocked in the acclimation process, and that didn't end well for three out of my first four :-/
Oh really?
For how long did you acclimate them for?

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
An hour maybe? I was pretty paranoid. I started the drip, then every ten minutes or so I removed some of the water in their bucket. So by the time they were added to the tank, they were totally adjusted to my water.

OP
Aquasub

Aquasub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update: three of them died
But one persevered, and has been swimming happily for the past couple days
Only thing is I'm not sure he has been eating much :/

Status
Not open for further replies.