Dead Neons

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All my neon tetras are dead. They died one by one. When one died, the other neons would be next to the dead one as if grieving. :'(

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am very sorry to hear this I myself have neons and I love these little beautiful fishies. I understand how you're feeling. I had 12 neons in the beginning, now I have 8 left. Three of them died one by one, each death being few months apart. They looked perfectly healthy, were eating and swimming normally, and the water was clean, yet each one of the 3 days I'd just find each one of them dead. They were not harassed by others as they had no markings of any kind on their bodies. I presume they were raised in very poor conditions and that's why their lifespan was this short (the 3 neons that died were about 2 years old).

Any idea why yours died? And ALL of them at once? What are your water parameters?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It seems that they had a gill disease. All of them are dead except for one. I am doing everything I can do: increasing aeration, medicine, etc. Everyone pleeaaaaaaaaseeeee pray for the survivor, I do not want him/her to die. :'( Iam grossly upset.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is a disease caused by a parasite that attacks neons tetras and is especially virilulent. I will explain the symptoms and see if any of them sound familiar. Keep in mind that they do not have to have had all of them but most of them probably.

Loss of coloration (especially the red stripe area); Unusual swimming behavior; Spinal Curvature; Wasting Away; Finrot

No treatment is currently available that does much to help them and they get it from close contact with infected fish as the parasite spreads. Maintenance of the best possible water and tank conditions are essential and if this is found in the tank, it is unadvisabel to put more fish of the tetra variety (any tetras) in that tank until it has been properly sterilized. The tank should be stripped down and disinfected with a bleach solution and then cleaned good and and allowed to dry. The decorations and gravel and plants should be discarded. Any fish used in restocking should come from another source.

I am so sorry about your fish. It is so hard to lose one let alone as many as you have. My deepest sympathies and thoughts go out to you. :'(

Rose
:'(

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It died. It actually had ich.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rose you are talking about neon tetra disease NTD are you not. Common among neons and can spread to other fish, usually once a neon has it it's too late for the rest of them.

Sorry about your loss Stradius

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, among other things.

Rose

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
We have all learnt a valuable lesson here. I am truly sorry to hear about your precious neons, they really are such special little things! Thankyou Rose for informing us about NTD I didnt know anything about it until now. That can probably account for many of my neons deaths. Its so hard to deal with the loss of a little fish!

You are in my thoughts Stradius011

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kerryve said:
We have all learnt a valuable lesson here.  I am truly sorry to hear about your precious neons, they really are such special little things!  Thankyou Rose for informing us about NTD I didnt know anything about it until now.  That can probably account for many of my neons deaths.  Its so hard to deal with the loss of a little fish! 

neons get it alot, it's better to try cardinals, they are a little hardier.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stradius, what did the fish act/look like before they died? They did not all die of ich right?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not all looked as if they had ich. The first few that died seemed to die for no reason and later the few remaining ones looked as if they died from ich.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you remember what the ones who "died for no reason" looked like before they died? Did any stop eating, look like they were wasting away, have curved spines, stop swimming and float or sit on the bottom, or anything like that?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
0morrokh said:
Did any stop eating, look like they were wasting away, have curved spines, stop swimming and float or sit on the bottom, or anything like that?
That sounds like my platy before she died yesterday.
Tom

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am sorry to be hijacking the post but...

Tomh:  if any of your fish are showing those symptoms be really really careful with them.  Like, don't put your hand in the tank if you have any open cuts.
What exactly werethe symptoms the Platy was showing?  Did it seem like she was dying slowly and wasting away over a long time?

No actually never mind that, start a new post in the disease section so we can diagnose what was wrong with your Platy.  It could just be nothing but it could be pretty bad...

EDIT: Never mind, I saw your post and replied to it.

jason in houston

Reaction score
chikadee, one of my neons had loss of color in the red part but i did 25 percent waer change ant then it was fine :

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jason, sounds like your fish was stressed rather than sick. Since he got better after a water change perhaps it was a problem with your water quality. If you aren't you should be doing water changes weekly.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
0morrokh said:
Did any stop eating, look like they were wasting away, have curved spines, stop swimming and float or sit on the bottom, or anything like that?
No, none at all. I'm going to buy more neons and try again.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
atmmachine said:
kerryve said:
We have all learnt a valuable lesson here.  I am truly sorry to hear about your precious neons, they really are such special little things!  Thankyou Rose for informing us about NTD I didnt know anything about it until now.  That can probably account for many of my neons deaths.  Its so hard to deal with the loss of a little fish! 

neons get it alot, it's better to try cardinals, they are a little hardier.
I can't find a store that sells them!

AquaDuk

Reaction score
Hey, Stradius, I think that Petco has some now. Want to try your luck there again?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom