Dead Mystery Snail ????

kamui

Reaction score
Okay! So I got my 2 snails maybe a week ago, and the mystery snail would not come out of its shell.
I looked all over, and some people said that it once took their new snails a week to come out of the shell, so I wasn't that worried.

I went to check on my fish today, and I noticed that my usually jump fish was completely still and was sideways.
That really scared me, since usually when I come into the room he darts around the tank.
So I checked on the snails, and the mystery snail still did not move. When I took it out of the tank it didn't smell that bad, but once I pulled on the foot, it was the absolute worst thing that I have ever smelled. So basically I concluded that he died.

Anyways, After I did a 95% water change, I noticed that my OTHER snail (which is a nerite snail) was out of the water and sucking on the glass, which is normal.
But then after it took me almost a full 2 hours to change this tank I noticed that he still did not move much from where he was. He is right by the top of the tank, so I can't see if his mouth is moving, and I have a light attached to the tank with a piece of plexiglass underneath, so I am not able to grab him to check if he is okay.

Should I be worried? Can a snail still stick to the glass if it is dead?

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, they can't be stuck to the glass if they're dead. Sometimes my nerites like to stay in the same places for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if you saw him in another spot tomorrow. Unfortunately, it does sound like your mystery snail did die. I've personally never had good luck with mystery snails though.

kamui

Reaction score
Alright, thanks!
This is my first time having any snails at all so I was just very very worried.

LMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The dead mystery snail probably led to a rise in ammonia. Our nerite used to climb out above the water line at times but it could be in this case that the nerite left due to bad water conditions caused by the dead snail. Have you checked you parameters are back to safe levels now after the water change?

kamui

Reaction score
I checked everything afterward, and there was indeed an ammonia spike.
The nerite snail is okay though! I think that he did leave the tank because of water conditions, but everything is okay now!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom