Dead Molly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Squirrelmanajh, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Squirrelmanajh

SquirrelmanajhValued MemberMember

My Dalmation Molly, Rubio, that I had for a year just passed away (strangely the same day Ricky Rubio came back from injury). He showed no signs of illness or anything. he was eating fine. Then when I came into my room tonight he was stuck up against the filter, dead. I've now lost him and 3 platys in the last month and I'm not sure why on any of them. It may have been age possibly, but I'm not sure about that. My parameters that I just tested 5 minutes ago were P.h. 8.2, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 60. I know the nitrate is high, but I'll be doing my regular water change tomorrow. A previous suggestion was that perhaps the higher P.H. over a long time caused some problem. Is this a possibility? Does anyone else have any other ideas?

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Have you recently added any fish? Your profile states you do not quarantine and one of them may have brought something.
    Have you changed ANYTHING in the tank in the last two months?

Was he thinnish at all? What food are you feeding?

3. klutz10154

klutz10154Valued MemberMember

I was told not to have my mollys in any higher ph than 7.8 yours does seem high....

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

It's probably OK. Molies can be acclimated to a marine environment, something with such a high hardness that they no longer use KH/GH tests but rather Specific Gravity.

5. OP
    OP
    Squirrelmanajh

I have added 2 female mollies, one of which died right away and the other is still alive and healthy. I also added a german blue ram threeish weeks ago. And a java fern.

6. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

So the ram is doing fine?

What food are you feeding?

7. OP
    OP
    Squirrelmanajh

yeah the ram's great. I was feeding tetra tropical flakes, now aqueon spirulina enriched tropical flakes, and occasionally freeze dried blood worms.

8. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

When did you change foods? It's possible they died from bloat or nutritional issues. Tetra is not that great of a food. Aqueon really isn't either, though it may be better than Tetra.

9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Aqueon is a pretty good food. They use whole fish. Not as good as Omega One or NLS though.

10. OP
    OP
    Squirrelmanajh

Well, I changed it about two weeks ago, but the molly is the only one that died after the change. He never seemed bloated though, but that may be possible. Whenever I run out of this food, I'll get omega probably, bc NLS isn't around me.

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Mollies get so fat anyway I don't know how you'd tell XDD

12. OP
    OP
    Squirrelmanajh

He was never very fat. Im just trying to figure out if it could be anything that will hurt my remaining fish.

13. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Difficult to know, with no obvious symptoms. :/ I'd consider a round of antiparasitic medication for everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice