Dead leaves and plant matter.

animalgirl257
Hi,
In my 60litre tank lots of plant matter, fish waste, and other stuff builds upon the gravel and sand. Is there an easy way to remove this. I vacuum the gravel and sand once every week but loads of it builds up. I've read you can get some fish that eat it/ clear it but I'm tight on space so I wouldn't be able to. I read that snails help. Would this be a good way and do they take up much space?

Another question I had; I have lots of live plants in my aquarium- do I need to give them food or anything to help them grow?

Thank you. Advice would be much appreciated.

MacZ
I assume the plant matter is not leaf litter but dead leaves from aquatic plants? If so, remove that stuff directly.
Otherwise you might want to prevent the buildup in the first place. What is your stocking and how much and how often do you feed? That would also determine whether the plants need fertiliser or not.

animalgirl257
Yes, it is dead leaves from the aquatic plants.

I feed my fish once a day with a variety of vegetables, bloodworms, fish flakes, and algae wafers. They eat all of it in a couple of minutes except for the wafers and vegetables which the ottos eat overnight.
I have female bettas(2), gouramis(2), platys(3) and ottos(6) in my 60l tank.

Maryellen
Wow! Thats a lot of fish in a 60L... 15gal, right?

MacZ
I see. Remove dead plant leaves as soon a you see them.

Otherwise reduce your stock. The Otos and their food alone are putting a lot of bioload on the system. You might be able to do the two bettas and the Otos in a tank that size, the rest is too much.

animalgirl257
yes, I know. They all seem happy and healthy though. By the way- the gouramis are dwarf ones.

MacZ
animalgirl257 said:
They all seem happy and healthy though.
That's not necessarily the case - or rather: It might not stay like this.

Long term you are definitely overstocked. It's an issue you will have to address.

Maryellen
animalgirl257 said:
yes, I know. They all seem happy and healthy though. By the way- the gouramis are dwarf ones.
The dwarf gourami, contrary to their name, arent really that small. Honeys are smaller and would be better suitable for your tank, however they’d be best kept alone in a 15gal.

long term, being that overstocked could really effect your fish. what kind of filtration do you have? What % water changes do you do?

animalgirl257
i do weekly 25%-50% water changes

Latest threads

Top Bottom