Dead Heater :(

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Mongo75, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +237
    Yesterday, I decided to relocate my heater from vertical to horizontal, and about an inch above my substrate. I also wanted to tweak it up from 74F to 76 or 78. The dial is extremely hard to turn and I have to use my thumb nail to get it to move. So I tweaked it about 1/8 inch, and now, it's keeping my water at 84F. WT?.

I pulled it out of the water, dried it off really good, turned the dial full CW then full CCW. but it never turns off now. I returned it to the vertical, and same thing, always on! I know it's not in a dead zone. If anything, I have too much water movement with two HOBs (seeding one to replace the other) and a powerhead.

Yeah, it might be my thermometer, but I seriously doubt a bad thermometer could make a heater stay on all the time, lol. I've got it unplugged for now, temp is slowly going down, so I'll just have to closely monitor my water temp.

Bummer! Looks like I'm going to have to get a new heater! :(

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,411
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think getting a good heater is a wise investment ..

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That sucks. My heaters aren't the best either. I think I have them set at the mark between 75 and 79, but the water is at 84. They're in my betta tanks so I'm fine with that, but still, not accurate temp, although steady.

4. OP
    OP
    Mongo75

Ratings:
    +237
    Yeah, this is a kit heater, and Marineland says it's accurate, one click for one degree, blah, blah, blah. Bull, lol. Mine no clicky, no workie, at all.

5. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have an Aqueon and an Interpet heater. Neither are "ultra reliable" or "precise." Well, I guess they're reliably 84, but they're not reliably what they're set to.
    I bought a thermometer gun on Amazon because my glass and stick on thermometers were hard to read and not trustworthy. I actually use that thing several times a week, way more than I expected. Super easy to match temps during water changes

6. OP
    OP
    Mongo75

Ratings:
    +237
    This thermometer was recommended on one of those "best of" sites, as being very accurate for the price, which is dirt cheap.

20190825_103909.

I don't really care if the heater is set for 78 and it keeps the water at 82, or 74. Thats a nice feature, and would help getting it dialed in, but what I care about is when I have it dialed in to 78, it keeps it there. I guess accuracy is really in the eye of the beholder :)

7. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah, I don't really either, which is why I'm fine with my heaters even if they aren't heating at what they're set to. It's a constant 84 which is better than fluctuating.

8. OP
    OP
    Mongo75

Ratings:
    +237