dead guppy question

1. bodieman Member Member

i came home today and found a dead guppy stuck to the intake of my filter. it was in a 29 gal tank with 2 other guppies 6 cherry barbs and a dwarf gourami. it has been starting to get cold in my house and the tank got down to about 70 before i realized that the heater wasnt plugged in. that was about a day ago and the temp is back to around 75. i noticed when i was removing the dead guppy that it had red spots all over its body and one of my other guppies has a red spot on its tail that wasnt there when i got them. my water conditions are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. the first thing i did was a water change to get the nitrates down. what could the guppy have died from? was it the water temp or are the red spots a disease that i need to treat? any advice would be awsome cause i have no clue what to do.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hmmmm... 20 nitrAte isn't SO high that is would immediately kill your fish, and 70 is not SO low that your gups should suffer either; maybe the two things combined caused stress, though.

Is it possible that one of your other fish attacked the gups? Which tank is this? Is it the 29g in your tank info? (The tank mates don't match the ones you mention in the post. Tiger barbs or an rts would certainly be aggressive enough to do this.)

I've never heard of a red spot disease. I know ammonia stress can cause red streaking, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We're they nipped up at all on their fins or missing some scales?

3. bodieman Member Member

its been awhile since i updated my info so no its a new 29 gal. the other guppies are the only fish that payed any attention to my dead one so i dont think it was under to much stress. the tail fin looked a little smaller than what i thought it shoud. i dont remember seeing any missing scales. the red is more of a discoloration rather than a cut or something.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. bodieman Member Member

api liquid tests