Dead Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by bettaa9, Apr 15, 2017.

1. bettaa9

bettaa9 Valued Member Member

My dad has had a big pond in the backyard for 10 years now. It's freshwater and only has goldfish in it (15 or so at the moment so it's understocked).

The filter has always been on, done water testing etc. but today when I went to feed them I noticed one had passed away. Some of the goldfish have been around for the 10 years however over the years they have bred so some are younger.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what this goldfish died from so I can prevent any more deaths, unless it was natural causes.

There's no blackness from ammonia poisoning however the tank is completely cycled and mature so water levels are safe! It doesn't look like columnaris (I think that's how you spell it) or dropsy either. I will attach an image and hopefully someone will be able to identify whether it was natural or from illness. We usually don't have any issues with fish passing away unless the pond happened to overflow or a bird came so it's really strange!

[​IMG]

Thank you

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I don't see anything wrong with your goldfish, at least not any external symptoms.

@CindiL might be able to help you out.
    Best of Luck!

3. OP
    OP
    bettaa9

Yeah I didn't notice anything either. It could have just been one of the older ones

Thank you for your reply

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Nothing's wrong with the outside of him. Probably age. Sorry for the loss, though.

5. OP
    OP
    bettaa9

Yes I was thinking that. Do you know how long they roughly live?
    I have read 10 years and that makes sense since the older ones have been around that long

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Haven't had a goldfish in a while, but 10 years doesn't sound outrageous. My friend's was 16 when it passed.

7. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Comet Goldfish have a natural lifespan of 5-15 years. How old was your comet?

8. OP
    OP
    bettaa9

I asked my dad and turns out he's had the pond for 12 or 13 years. If it were one of the originals it would be about that age, otherwise they bred roughly 10 years ago.

9. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, its hard to say from the picture but I would assume its old age unless others start dying too. Then in that case I would suspect parasites or bacteria.

10. OP
    OP
    bettaa9

Ok thank you I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully it was just old age as that sounds more pleasant than passing away from illness

11. tanki60o

tanki60o Valued Member Member

A very experienced member in my goldfish forum saw this post and said it was dropsy. The area between the gills and the middle of the goldfish shows raised scales. I'm sorry, but this fish passes away from dropsy :(. It was also mentioned that the eye looks unusually large compared to the body, possibly caused by pop-eye which is very often seem with dropsy. One my fish actually has dropsy and pop eye now. Dropsy is usually caused by bad water quality, so please make sure to always test your water and keep up with your water changes, and make sure you are not overstocked.

FULL CREDIT TO TWO MEMBERS OF THAT FORUM THAT I DONT KNOW WHETHER THEY WOULD PREFER TO BE MENTIONED BY NAME OR NOT.

12. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Though dropsy can be caused by bad water quality which can be toxic to the kidneys and other organs leading to dropsy symptoms it can also be caused by a bacterial infection. I agree that water quality is ultimately very important. If the fish was 10 years old, it could also be a natural byproduct of old age (the kidneys stop functioning).

13. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I agree with the others in that I don't see anything outwardly wrong with it. How large was this fish as it looks like a juvenile to me.

14. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I agree, with @slayer5590, this fish looks quite small to die of old age & if it was in a large pond I don't see how it could have been stunted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice