Dead Ghost Shrimp please help

1. s

smoothiebunny New Member Member

Hello!

Three weeks ago I set up a new 3 gallon aquarium, for it I bought two tetras and two ghost shrimps from petco. One of the ghost shrimps was pregnant. Sadly I don't have the time to set up a separate tank for her when she has her babies. So last night I saw that her eggs had gone clear and that she was ready to have them but being a new ghost shrimper I couldn't tell if the eggs were still in her. When I woke up this morning I found her dead on the bottom of the tank ( no color, and upside down) I heard of shrimp molting after birth but she was definitely dead :( Is it normal for shrimp to die during giving birth? And did I do something wrong? and lastly how should I dispose of it?
    Thank you!

2. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry for your experience, a few things to note....

First off, welcome to fishlore.

As for your tank and stocking, tetras are a schooling fish and need to be in groups of 5 or more, and do even better with 10 or so. They need a 10 gallon tank at bare minimum. A 3 gallon tank is good for shrimp only and that's about it. Some may say that a Betta would do ok there by itself.

As for your ghost shrimp, they are really tricky to keep at first, as they kept mainly as feeders for larger fish. They are not kept in good conditions or transported well. This leads to health problems and possible death down the line. If you can get them to survive a month or so, they should be ok and last for a year or 2. You didn't do anything wrong, assuming that your tank is cycled and have good water parameters. They just die sometimes, could be molting, could be mistreatment at fish store, it could have been an old shrimp to start with. Remove the shrimp from the tank and dispose in the garbage is fine. You can have a ceremony and bury him in your yard if you like or were especially attached to that shrimp.

As for breeding ghost shrimp, it is extremely hard to breed them. Some say its impossible as the young need brackish water, but this is not true and a widespread myth. The reason they are hard to care for is because they are what is considered a "lower order" shrimp, meaning that their young are born into a larval state that basically can't swim or fend for themselves. They float around and need to have an ample supply of food like infusoria or green water culture (algal bloom). If there are any predators like other fish or even other ghost shrimp they will happily catch these babies that are just floating around as easy prey. If you don't have a lot of infusoria or green water they will starve soon after being born. If you have a filter, they will get easily sucked up in the intake. They are just fragile and really hard to care for. With that being said, I have some in my tanks and by chance they have bred a few times, with me occasionally seeing a baby or 2. But they have 30-50 babies at a time, so only a few survive. If you wanted to really get more to survive they would need their own tank with no filtration or at most a sponge filter. They would need ample food and little disturbance. Due to this they are hard to get the young to survive. If they can make it the first week or 2 into their adult stage, then it's smooth sailing, it's just that larval stage that makes it real tough.

I keep red cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp and also wrote an article here on fishlore about getting started with fresh water shrimp....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/162-freshwater-shrimp-beginners.html

I find the red cherry shrimp much easier to breed, as they are the "higher order" shrimp that don't have a larval stage, their babies hatch out in mini adult form. Ghost shrimp are good scavengers eating detritus, left over food, and even fish poop. Cherry shrimp scavenge some, but primarily feed on algae and bio-film.

3. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

I think Dolfan covered everything with the ghost shrimp, but I do want to reiterate about the tetra. There are no fish that can thrive in a 3 gallon tank. Perhaps a Betta, and even then that's really pushing it. There's a few dozens of different tetra fish, and since we would really love to help you even further with your aqua babies it would help if you let us know what kind of tetra you have and exactly how many of each.

We also need to know what your current water parameters are. Any time an animal in the tank dies you should first look at your water chemistry. Let us know what the current numerical values are for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Last but not least, what method did you use to cycle the tank?