Dead German blue ram and tankmates

_:lmcw:_

I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for over 10 years now and started my 29 gallon up again 9 months ago. I cycled completely in 3 weeks with ammonia and it has been running with 4 zebra danio and 5 cherry shrimp as well as various live plants to keep the bacteria alive. I test my tank with my master liquid test kit every time I do my weekly 15-20% water change and I've never tested any irregularities.

Because my tank is well established and stable, I decided to get a pair of German blue rams on Saturday. I acclimated them for an hour and a half putting small amounts of tank water in the bag throughout the period. I read about how delicate they are so I did water tests every day, not once reading anything off. I was overjoyed yesterday when I watched them spawn under my Amazon leaves on the gravel.

Something must have happened between that time and this afternoon because I came home to find the male ram dead on the bottom of my tank. once again, all tests were normal. ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0, nitrates: less than 5ppm, pH: 7.5.

Can anyone guess as to what happened? I want to get another male, but I don't want to kill another one. the female seems happy although the danio ate all the eggs.

I had also been wanting to get some more community fish for my tank, but I am not sure which fish are compatible. I've seen betta fish with rams but someone told me bettas will bother them.

Attachments

• 20130218_175651.jpg
    20130218_175651.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,390

tales-rose

the female could of killed the male because sometimes they like to protect the eggs by themselves.

troyvsc

Sorry to hear that but it sounds like you know what you are doing and everything else was normal. I would give it another try.

jon2far

I tried to put a betta in my community tank. I noticed my threadfins would flare up with each other and the betta took notice. Maybe keep that in mind for tankmates.

Eienna

Sometimes things just happen...but was he eating well? What were you feeding them? It may be he got constipated or somesuch.

EricV

While it is possible to acclimate blue rams to a pH of 7.5 it's much easier to keep them alive and healthy around 6.5. Also what is your GH? Softer is better for ram keeping.

Personally I've never had a female kill the male after spawning (they both look after the eggs and fry) but anything is possible especially in a young pair.

I would guess that the relatively high pH combined with the stress of protecting a new batch of eggs did him in.

_:lmcw:_

I was concerned about the ph at first, but the owner of the lfs told me that their ph in the tank I bought them from was the same as mine... the female ended up dying a week later, and I'm pretty bummed, so I think I'll get something else for my tank and wait a while longer to get anymore rams.

I had fed them tropical flakes and they seemed to really enjoy shrimp pellets. I had planned on getting some blood worms, but I tried not to feed the female a lot after the male died.

matsungit

Also, adding Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem to their food will make your fish extra hardy. Garlic Guard increases appetite and boosts the immune system. But sometimes you'll get a weak strain of fish with bad genes. You can wait awhile until they get a new batch from somewhere else or try another store.

Eienna

Many varieties of NLS already have garlic in them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ALS
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views