Dead Frog, What Happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCfishman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've had him for about 3 or 4 weeks now, but this morning he looked a little poofy, but 8 hours later he hasn't moved and looks like this, I'd kind of like to know what happened
dca18ff8c86ff23ff624b30fa3a80634.jpg

OP
KCfishman

KCfishman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know he was, because I feed them every day, fasting Wednesday and Sunday a freeze dried omega one bloodworm cube.

I know he was, because I feed them every day, fasting Wednesday and Sunday a freeze dried omega one bloodworm cube.
Using a turkey baster to make sure they saw it

Last edited by a moderator:

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It could easily have been a water quality issue then, ammonia is very toxic in any amount. Do you have any fish or frogs still in there?
Sorry for your loss

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I reccomend doing 50% water changes every other day or so to keep the ammonia down until it has disappeared entirely for a few days.
Is the betta the one in your profile pic? He's so beautiful, I love that colouration Best of luck to you and your fish!

OP
KCfishman

KCfishman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tank isn't VERY established so the fact that I have a little ammonia doesn't really concern me all too much, because its been declining over weeks, and yes, same betta

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Likely a fungus. The chytrid fungus has infiltrated the adf breeding stock. Other fungi is a possibility too. It does not affect fish.
Wait at least two months for the spores to die off before purchasing any more frogs. I would highly recommend putting new frogs through quarantine and treatment for fungus before introducing to your main tank. I used the lamisil method which seemed much easier than the BC in the links below.

They are social so you should keep at least two by the way. Did you mean that you had two and there is one left? If so, I would jump on the treatment right away and keep it out of that tank for two months. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Very informational:
Important - Chytrid Fungus in ADF's and ACF's

I will find and add my thread where I went through this with four new frogs and almost lost my original two before I learned about it. The lamisil treatment saved them. I will use it when I am ready to buy some again. I also have the the BC on hand now too.
EDIT: here's the link:
African Dwarf Frogs Dying

African Dwarf Frogs Dying

Sorry you lost your little guy.
I was really sad about my four new ones, and would have been devastated to lose the two I have had for 2 years now. Just upgraded them to a 20g L so I could have six and it almost cost them their lives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.8%

Top Bottom