Dead Fishy

1. chuy2077 Member Member

Hi I had two goldbarbs die within a week. Did my water checks all fine an dandy. Not sure if it was stressed or not. I'll have to restock as I've had more fish die.

2. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I would figure out why your fish are dying before restocking. People will want to know What your current stock, size of your tank and water parameters are to help (if you'd like help).

3. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

What does fine and dandy mean, exactly? More info is needed to help make any guesses.

4. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

5. EllaFishgerald Initiate Member

Is it established or no? Did you allow your tank to cycle for 6-8 weeks if it is new? Gotta make that nitrogen cycle is complete, yo!!

6. chuy2077 Member Member

As far as the stocking goes I used to have five goldbarbs nine black skirt tetras and 3 Buenos Aires tetras and a opaline gourami. I'm gonna wait till later to restock so I don't have any fish die on me. I use the app freshwater test kit and the phosphorus test kit. All my tests come back well. pH is at 7.4. my tank is a 55gallon I use a marineland 220. 220 gallons per hour I'll be adding more and another fluval sky 48" as up grades anything else y'all wanna know hit me up and yes I know the nitrogen cycle it's been around for over three years.

7. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Looks good, but Buenos Aires Tetras are schooling fish and need a group of 6+ and after you restock you would have room for more fish, and if you want ideas we would gladly give you some.

8. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

"Well" isn't a parameter though... we need numbers to help. Temperature as well please.

9. chuy2077 Member Member

10. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

The temp. might be why your fish died, they all need low temps. at 72-74'F so the heat might have stressed them to death.

11. chuy2077 Member Member

I have a led lamp with very little heat. Use to have t5 ho wich produces alot of heat. I have a heater on the tank now so should I remove the heater and let it go?

12. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would say those fish would be ok without a heater but it would be best to keep the heater on there but to just change the temp.

13. chuy2077 Member Member

Ok I removed the heater I'll check the temp tomorrow morning

14. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Don't remove the heater. All fish need constant temps - no heater means fluctuation on a daily basis which will not help your situation.

15. chuy2077 Member Member

Ok thanks

16. chuy2077 Member Member

Ok last post heater is back in I'll pray to the fish tank God's it evens itself out. Current tank temp is 82°.

17. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

You need to get the temp down - if the room is insanely hot you may need to employ ice water bottles or reusable ice cubes to drop it. But 80+ on the long term is going to hurt the immune systems of the fish you have that desire lower temps.

Edit: some have had luck blowing a fan over the water surface to cool it a few degrees, you could also try that.

18. chuy2077 Member Member

Temp dropped to 73° should be good

19. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

That temp should be good.