Dead Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just a littled worried since I noticed a fish missing in the tank today and really had to look for it and sure enough it was dead and stuck between the glass and a rock towards the bottom of the tank. I am guessing it has been in there for a while as I have been away and the kiddies have been feeding. I noticed a smell today when performing my weekly water change.
Do I have to take any actions or worry about the water conditions and the other fish. Here are the details of my tank setup.
75 gallon freshwater bow front
2217 Ehiem Cannister
305 Fluval Cannister
400 Power head
Air pump
NO PLANTS
Tank is 2 years old and water condition has been flawless.
The fish in question was a new comer and another fish was showing aggressive behavior at first. When I pulled the dead fish out the tail was missing. I am pretty sure that it was not disease that killed it but another fish.
Hopefully this is enough info for some help and thanks in advance for your expertise.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore ken!
Im sorry for the loss of your fish though
do you know your current readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? if there is a smell, and probably the kiddies might have overfed, id do a water change to be safe.....the fish could have passed from being picked on, or a change in ph that it wasnt use too maybe? the missing tail was probably the other fish picking on it...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to FL. The water parameters you list in your aquarium information are way out of whack. I think bad water conditions are at least as likely to be the culprit as an attack.

I would buy some Prime water conditioner (detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours at a time), and do daily water changes until the tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates. If you don't already have one, you should get a good quality liquid test kit such as the API master test kit.

OP
K

Ken

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
welcome to fishlore ken!
Im sorry for the loss of your fish though
do you know your current readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? if there is a smell, and probably the kiddies might have overfed, id do a water change to be safe.....the fish could have passed from being picked on, or a change in ph that it wasnt use too maybe? the missing tail was probably the other fish picking on it...
Hi Shawnie,
Thanks for replying so quickly as I was worried about the rest of the fish.
Ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates about 40ppm. I just performed a 20% water change prior to looking and finding the fish. Should I do another 20 water change do to the overfeeding and smell? I have never noticed an odour before and this is why I was a little worried.
Ken

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your profile says you show readings of ammonia and Nitrites. It's best to have 0.0 on both readings as both are harmful to fish. Those could have shocked your fish and the aggression didn't help out either. Definitely try to get your ammonia and Nitrite levels to 0.0. Sorry to hear about your lose.

Edit: Oops really slow on my response

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ken thats great! water changes always help and make fish feel better.... ..and if you can update your aquarium info and add the 75g in there, it wont be as confusing to those offering advice
Welcome to FL. The water parameters you list in your aquarium information are way out of whack. I think bad water conditions are at least as likely to be the culprit as an attack.

I would buy some Prime water conditioner (detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours at a time), and do daily water changes until the tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates. If you don't already have one, you should get a good quality liquid test kit such as the API master test kit.
Your profile says you show readings of ammonia and Nitrites. It's best to have 0.0 on both readings as both are harmful to fish. Those could have shocked your fish and the aggression didn't help out either. Definitely try to get your ammonia and Nitrite levels to 0.0. Sorry to hear about your lose.

the 75g in question, isnt listed in the profile

OP
K

Ken

Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Sorry as I just updated my profile and setup settings. This tank has been running for two years and all levels are normal. Thanks for helping.

OP
K

Ken

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks again everybody for your quick responses and your expertise. I have updated my Aquarium Info.
I am going to proceed with another 20% water change this evening just in case. Time for an automatic fish feeder rather than the kiddies. After showing my nine yr old twin boys how much to feed I just found out that one was feeding in the morning and the other after school. I had asked for them to alternate after school.
We have been only feeding flake once a day with frozen blood worms every two or three days. Ooops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom