dead fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by marklmr1960, Apr 11, 2010.

1. marklmr1960New MemberMember

I have had my fish for 4 weeks now and over the last couple of days i have lost
    3 fish 2 tetras and a molly. On close inspection one of the tetras had white spot. No other fish Seem to have it touch wood. looking on various forums seeing its the weekend pets stores are closed. I see one way to help the fish is to put the temp up and to add some salt and do a water change. This i have done
    I think i have made a mistake i used common table salt 1 tsp per gallon. The fish
    seem ok they are feeding and swimming around. What should i do about the salt will i have to do a complete water change. i have also replaced the filter. The tank was left empty for 4 weeks before the fish were introduced.
    I have also been adding weekly cleaner natural micro organisms to degrade the ammonia and nitrate.

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

welcome. :)
    Are you able to give us more info?
    -how many gallons is the tank
    -what are the current ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?
    -what test kit do you use?
    -what fish and how many are in your tank?
    -what products do you use in the tank?
    -do you have live plants?

3. OP
    OP
    m

marklmr1960New MemberMember

I had the water tested Thursday at the local Aquarium they said it was ok. I have 2 live plants The size of my tank is 18x13x15 so i would say its about 9 gallons. I have 7 fish

i put about 5 tsp of table salt in then panicked and took a gallon out and replaced with
    tap water that has been boiled and allowed to cool.

4. OP
    OP
    m

The last of my tetras as just gone.The other fish are swimming around and feeding well if anything they are a bit to lively darting about.

5. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Hello and welcome to Fishlore! I'm sorry about your fish.

The dimensions you gave put your tank at about 15 US gallons. I see you do now know about the Nitrogen Cycle. That is a very good place to start. Problems with the nitrogen cycle are probably the number one cause of fish health issues in new tanks. Here is a link to that will explain the nitrogen cycle for you.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

In short the nitrogen cycle is this. When your fish poo they release ammonia into the tank. Ammonia is highly toxic to fish, but there is a bacteria that will grow to consume the ammonia and convert it into nitrite. Nitrite is also highly toxic to fish, but another bacteria will grow that will consume the nitrite and convert it into nitrate. Nitrate is not toxic to fish as long as the levels are kept moderately low with regular water changes. Once your tank has grow enough bacteria to convert all the ammonia and nitrite into nitrate in less than 12 hours then the cycle is complete. The bacteria grows on any surface in your tank, but mainly it grows in your filter. Because all the beneficial bacteria you NEED in your tank is growing on your filter I would not recommend changing the filter cartridge unless it is literally falling apart. The manufacturers recommend changing them every few weeks, but it is not only unnecessary to do that, it is also unwise.

I would highly recommend getting a test kit of your own rather than relying on the fish stores to test for you. One of the better test kits available is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It includes tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH (regular and high range). Keeping track of your ammonia and nitrite levels is extremely important. If you have any ammonia or nitrite in your tank it could be what is killing your fish. One more thing I would highly recommend getting is one of these two products, either Prime by Seachem or Amquel Plus by Kordon. Both products are water conditioners that also help to detoxify ammonia and nitrite. However these products will only leave the ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours so in order for them to be completely effective they must be used in conjunction with daily 30-50% water changes. Until you can get one of these two I would recommend daily water changes with whatever conditioner you have. Even though it will most likely not detoxify any ammonia and nitrite in your tank, it will at least lower the levels which is a start.

Good luck!

6. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

inches or cms?

7. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

8. Prince Powder

Excellent point! I didn't even think about that conversion! Good catch Meenu. :)

The 15 US gallons I mentioned would be if the numbers given were in inches!

9. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks for your reply's. Tanks size in inches. I will get the test kit. The instructions on the filter says change once a month. I believe boiling tap water removes toxins from the water including Chlorine. What shall i do about the salt that i added .Once again thanks for your reply's

10. Elodea

Did you just remove the cartridge and replace it? Because beneficial nitrifying (ammonia and nitrite consuming) bacteria live on it, throwing away the filter media could cause a mini-cycle and an ammonia spike that may kill your fish.

11. OP
    OP
    m

I removed the cartridge and replaced it with a new one i used Aqua Flow 100 internal filter replacement cartridges.

12. Elodea

Yep, that might be what's causing the fish deaths. Instead of replacing the cartridge altogether, you should just rinse it in the old tank water after a water change to remove the lumps and stuff. Then put it back into the filter. This somewhat cleans it, but does not kill the bacteria.

13. OP
    OP
    m

its one of the them activated carbon filters says for best results change once a month. I only changed it today after the fish had died.

14. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Mark,
    Rinse in discarded tank water, not tap. Only change catridges when the old is falling apart, which can be years. You can carefully, with a knife, cut a slit on the top of the cartridge and throw out the carbon.

if you want to keep using carbon, let us know and i can tell you how.

Gte rid of the salt by doing 2 or 3 large water changes. Maybe 50% every 12 hours or so?

15. OP
    OP
    m

Mark thanks for that. I have just retrieved the previous filter which was still wet and gooey
    cleaned the debris from the bottom and removed the old carbon then using the new carbon from the other filter put it all back together and put it in the tank.

16. OP
    OP
    m

Another thing will i be all right using the boiled water which i have allowed to cool for the water change i don't have de-chlorination liquid.

17. Prince Powder

For now you can pour the water a day ahead of time and let it sit out overnight, that will give some time for the chlorine to evaporate a bit. However, many cities also use cloramine which does not evaporate. I would highly recommend getting water conditioner as chlorine can not only kill your beneficial bacteria, but your fish as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice