Dead Fish Question

1. Roger172

Roger172 Initiate Member

Went to the shore over night came home to a dead clown and dead Platy. The one clown has been pushing the other for a week. Could it have been sick and the other knew? I did a 25% water change to get some junk vaccumed. When you guys do water changes do you remove fish?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

What are your parameters?
    What is your stocking?

No, I don't remove any fish during a water change, and you shouldn't either.

3. OP
    OP
    Roger172

Roger172 Initiate Member

I figure they eat all the crap comin up from my stone. 40 gallons. I had 2 clowns 2 platys and about 15-20 small guppies. My female had babies and I never got rid of them.

4. Fanatic

When you say "clown" do you mean clown plecos?

5. OP
    OP
    Roger172

Roger172 Initiate Member

Loaches

6. Fanatic

Oh, well you have some stocking issues if you want to discuss them :)

7. OP
    OP
    Roger172

Roger172 Initiate Member

I figured lol. I want to get rid of most of the guppies but don’t want to just flush them

8. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Hi there. I see you didn't answer the question about parameters, this is the most likely cause. Any chance you can get the exact measurements of the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Also, the stocking issue doesn't lie with the guppies, but with the clown loach. Those guys get huge. What type of filtration do you have, and do you clean it? If so, how? How often do you do water changes, and what dechlorinator do you use? What do you feed the fish? Sorry about all the questions, but they are necessary
    Edit: also you should never flush fish, not even dead ones, because they shouldn't be allowed into the water system due to possible disease transmission. Also it's one of the cruelist ways to kill fish, there are several more humane ways.

9. OP
    OP
    Roger172

Roger172 Initiate Member

I have a penguin bio wheel 200. I haven’t tested recently. Even when I have fish die I am told nitrate ammonia etc. are in range. I feed twice a day, flake food and bottom feeder tablets. I try doing a 10-25% water change weekly. It’s weird. I’ll do a water change and usually within several days 1 or 2 fish die. When I do a water change I add a water conditioner and bacteria supplement. It’s weird too. Front of my tank is clear but looking from sides it’s cloudy looking. I’m not sure if it’s the glass that was used or maybe lights but even with them off I get same results. IMG_4532.jpg IMG_4533.jpg

10. remy113

remy113 Member Member

Hey man I run the same filter just on a 30 gallon. Personally I found that filer doesn’t do enough and added a air powers 60gallon sponge filter in the tank. My question is why are you adding the water conditioner? I use to add aquasafe for colorine that I thought I had and turns out I didn’t need it and it was harming my fish. Nice looking tank btw

11. OP
    OP
    Roger172

Roger172 Initiate Member

To be honest not sure. Maybe I don’t need conditioner and bacteria supplement and Should add more filtration

12. remy113

remy113 Member Member

The bacteria supplement shouldn’t an issue for a while. But after a while your tank should be able to create the bacteria it needs without needing extra.(to much and it’ll just die but it’ll regrow B.B. if it needs it) that’s what cycling is. If the conditioner is for calorine or something like that take sample to a fish store and have it check first.

13. Rtessy

Unless you are on well water, you need the water conditioner. The water conditioner is also called a dechlorinator. This is because the tap water we drink contains chlorine. If you do not dechlorinate, that is the equivalent of letting your fish swim in bleach; a painful way to die.
    Please do not go around telling people that water conditioner is bad, just because your water doesn't happen to contain chlorine doesn't mean theirs does not.
    Also, OP, please get them to give the exact readings because I've done little trials with stores and I had a PetSmart tell me that my water was safe when it had 4ppm ammonia (I was fishless cycling). That's enough to kill anything that goes in within a matter of hours. It sucks, but they lie most of the time.
    Your filter is technically too small for the tank, but don't worry about that for now. It does mean that it's likely your parameters are out of whack and that is creating a problem. That being said, what were the most recent additions to your tank, and what were they?

14. OP
    OP
    Roger172

Roger172 Initiate Member

I don’t have well water. Haven’t added new fish for about 2 months. That’s what’s so confusing. Not like I added to the tank. The clown loaches were fighting for a week and before I left I noticed the one was swimming towards top of tank.

Btw how often should I be testing my levels.

15. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

If you are having dead fish, every couple of days minimum.

Buy the API master test kit on Amazon for $25.00 and you can test PH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in 10 minutes. And you’ll know what the issue is.

Without that information, we are just guessing.

16. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure why nobody has said this, but you're not just under-filtering, that filter is only filtering HALF the amount of water per hour you need it to be. You need either another Penguin 200 in addition, or one Penguin 400. That would explain the cloudiness. As @Hunter1 said, you should buy a test kit. We won't have any solutions to the fish dying if we don't know your parameters. You can ditch the bacterial supplement, but definitely not the water conditioner.

@remy113 Unless you were pouring half the bottle of water conditioner into your tank, there's no way it could do anything but good for your fish. Even if you don't have chlorine in your water, it still replenishes the slime coat of your fish, detoxifies heavy medals, etc.

17. remy113

remy113 Member Member

I wasn’t telling them it was bad. I was just stating I was adding it to my tank because I have town water and thought I needed to. I was losing fish and I stopped using aqua-safe and I haven’t had a problem since. And yes I was using the correct amount as instructed on the bottle. All asked is why they where using the stuff and then stated why I don’t anymore. That’s it. And I run town water but my town doesn’t add chlorine or anything like that I’ve looked into it.

18. Rtessy

You didn't fully explain any of this, and that is dangerous. OP didn't even know what it was for. You are in the very slim minority who doesn't have chlorine in their water, and to just "forget" to state you don't have a deadly chemical in your water that essentially everyone else does is a problem. You need to fully explain the entire situation and the potential risks posed by someone not using dechlorinator, which you did not state. If you re-read your message, you'll see it's really quite frightening to a new person. Essentially, you said that they were adding a dangerous chemical to the water that's killing all their fish. That's scary. Someone is going to stop using it because they are scared of killing their fish, when in fact, the chlorine will do that much faster. I know this is harsh, but it's really important you understand that you are giving advice that would kill most people's fish in minutes. Also, there are bad batches, and you could have gotten a bad batch of dechlorinator that killed your fish, I won't argue that point.

19. Rtessy

@Roger172 most people test their levels about once a week, I generally test every two weeks or so, but if there's a problem, most people test daily, even multiple times a day.

20. remy113

remy113 Member Member

I asked why he was using it then stated why I don’t. I never told him to stop I never even hinted towards it. I just gave my experience.

All I said was have your water checked for chlorine so he makes sure if he has it or doesn’t again I NEVER SAID anything of along the lines of what your implying.

Pretty sure I didn’t say I forgot or anything along those lines again was stating my experience.

But hey I’m defending myself but whatever I don’t need to be attack. All I did was suggest more filters and have his water checked for a chemical that he may have or may not have. I was trying to be helpful and yes I did reread my post multiple times before submitting because I am a newb to and I thought I made it clear that I was trying be helpful and find the problem but oh well. Love being attacked. There are nicer ways then snapping at someone. And yes I get your point. But let’s put this behind us and make this forum friendly again.