Dead Fish Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Anna94, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Anna94

Anna94 Valued Member Member

I just found my favorite fish dead. It wasn't very old and it was fine just the other day. I don't recall it being dead before I did my water change or if it was I just didn't notice it. This is the 3rd fish in a month. Why is it I can keep my dogs, cat, and bearded dragon alive, but I can't seem to keep fish alive?

I just did a water change and dosed Prime so I can't test as my readings won't be accurate. The tank is 20 gallon long, it is cycled, AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter, and the fish that died was a kribensis, cardinal tetra, and lemon tetra. The other fish are lemon tetras (3), Celebes rainbows (2), cardinal tetras (5), a horseface loach, and an oto

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Even if the water is good you have some stocking issues that could lead to stress and death.

3. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

There is no way to guess or help until you can test the water.

4. OP
    OP
    Anna94

I can't test now as I just dosed Prime so the readings will be inaccurate

5. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

If you're using an api kit readings will be accurate.

Your tank is quite overstocked and a horseface loach certainly is too big.

How much and how frequent are your water changes

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank is extremely overstocked. Rehome some of the fish, so you won't continue to get deaths in your tank.

API Test Kit does not get affected by Prime

7. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Prime/Amquel don't prevent salicylate total ammonia tests from measuring total ammonia. Normally, you would use the pH/temperature table to figure out how much free ammonia you have. The use of Prime/Amquel detoxifies free ammonia temporarily so the free ammonia is no longer toxic. At the very least, high total ammonia will tell you your biofilter isn't keeping up with the amount of food you're feeding.

8. OP
    OP
    Anna94

How is my tank overstocked with only 12 fish? I don't have anybody in my life that I can give my fish to.

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The horseface loach will need a bigger tank. And I don't think a 20 gallon is big enough for 3 top dwelling schools.

So, you can't sell it on Craigslist, or on other sites? Have you tried your LFS?

10. Tiny_Tanganyikans

If it were me, I'd take advantage of a sale or one of those forums like craigslist (petco has dollar per gallon sale currently until the end of the week) and get a bigger aquarium for the loach and they're social fish that like schools. I'd move one of the other schools and fill out the bigger aquarium.

I know not everyone can do this. But that loach gets rather big and has a very large bio load. The rest of your fish are competing for the same territory so if you can imagine it's probably stressful

11. OP
    OP
    Anna94

I'm really tired of people telling me to buy a bigger tank like I'm made of money or don't have any other more important obligations that require money. If I got a bigger tank I'd have to also get a bigger stand and possibly a bigger filter and I don't have that kind of money. My mom is only working 18 hrs. a week at minimum wage and has another job that is also part-time and she uses all that money to pay bills. I'm not working right now and only get SSI money and we use that for groceries, gas, and cellphone bill. So I can't just go out and spend money like I'm a billionaire. I also don't have the space in my house for a bigger tank.

12. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Simple. Then rehome some of your fish. If you can't give them a big enough area to live then the best thing to do for the fish is to find them a new home.

13. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Once the fish have a new home you won't have to pay for as much food either! Saving you more money. ;)

14. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

We're the fish a present then?

15. OP
    OP
    Anna94

No, I used the money I made from stuff I sold here and there.

I can't even sell this pair of shoes and fish supplies I've been trying to sell for months so I doubt I'll be able to sell fish

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  16. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

This is all very reminiscent of your dead fish thread from exactly one month ago....

This will be an endless cycle for you if you aren't willing to make any changes.

As for rehoming fish....they don't have to be sold. You could bring them to a local fish store....or offer them up for free on craigslist or facebook. There are plenty of options....

Anyway...in all your defensiveness regarding your stocking and tank size...you still haven't provided your water parameters....if you want to try to pinpoint exactly why your fish died, you need to give us that information. What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate???

17. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Can always donate them to a LFS that can provide a proper environment, but I can understand how you'd want your money back. You can't return them to the store you bought them from?

Yes please, knowing your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate levels would help us get to the bottom of this.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  18. OP
    OP
    Anna94

Last time I tested, ammonia was .25, nitrites were 0, and nitrates were 10-20.

19. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry for your losses.
    .25 ammonia isn't deadly...obviously you want zero. But .25 wouldn't cause multiple fish deaths.
    They could simply be stressed from the crowd. Or is it possible you have a bully in the bunch? Have you noticed any signs of illness or injury on the dead fish? Any behavior changes prior to death?

I don't know what to suggest other than what's already been suggested. Try rehoming some fish, it's really not as hard as you think....in the mean time, id do small daily water changes to get the ammonia to zero.

Good luck!

20. Tiny_Tanganyikans

This is why I said if it was me and I know everyone can't.

I'm broke 24/7 as I have a 2 year old a newborn and a girlfriend. I scavenge and build most of my equipment.

Though; if you can't afford to properly take care of them, and it sounds like you have much stress in your life already, giving at least the loach to your LFS forever or until you can provide a better home would be a big help and weight off your shoulders.

I wasn't being aggressive or attacking you for your current situation; i was merely trying to help. Youre obviously having issues as this isn't your first problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice