Dead Fish, Velvet? Warning Pictures Included.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Wrenne, May 20, 2018.

1. Wrenne

Wrenne New Member Member

My fish die this morning. Is this velvet? Or just natural colouring? I'm including a pic when I first bought him. 20180520_115041.jpg 20180506_150630(0).jpg

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

At first I was thinking fin rot, but then I saw the bruised looking spot near his gills. I would say velvet or ich. They are notorious for getting it because of the dirty conditions they arr forced to be iat fish store.

3. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

I dont see velvet or ich. Velvet looks like gold dust, ich looks like salt. I see neither. Neither velvet nor ich are caused by "dirty" tank conditions either. Velvet is a highly contagious parasite and ich is cause by severe stress.

If your fish is new and youre new to fish keeping, Id wager on ammonia or nitrite poisoning, but there is no way to know unless you can test your waters parameters. New tanks need to "cycle", which means build up enough beneficial bacteria to convert all ammonia present to nitrites, then all nitrites to nitrates. Then you need to do regular water changes to keep nitrate levels low. Lots of beginners make the mistake of tossing a fish (especially bettas) in a bowl or small tank without filters or uncycled filters and not doing regular water changes, which leads to premature deaths.

If your fish, filter or tank new? Do you know the parameters/are you able to check them?

4. OP
    OP
    Wrenne

Wrenne New Member Member

I'm newer to fish. I had him in an unfiltered 1.5 because I made the mistake of buying him on a whim with only an old tank. I started off doing water changes every 2 days. When he started to look worse every day 25%. Treated water. I then bought a 5 gallon for him. He had swim bladder the after the first time I feed him 1 pellet. I noticed his fins were starting to curl after i got him home. They ended up looking like little ropes at the end. He was rubbing his face against everything. The girl at pet smart said to try pimafix. And then he died.

Did I just get a sick fish. Or did my actions cause his death?

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
  5. finnipper59

It doesn't sound like you cycled your tank and you didn't have a filter on the tank. You should go on google and type in cycling a new fresh water aquarium.

6. OP
    OP
    Wrenne

Wrenne New Member Member

I understand that but not cycling, while being a mistake, is not a death sentence for fish. My mom did that and he fish is fine.

7. finnipper59

It also depends on the fish and if there is at least an airstone moving the water. Oxygen only absorbs at the water's surface and needs agitation to circulate through the tank. 1.5 gallons of still water won't hold oxygen very long causing stress and the fish instinctively swims to the surface for oxygen. Also...what temperature is the tank.

8. DuaneV

A tank that isnt filtered (cycled) and heated is almost always a death sentence for a betta UNLESS youre checking parameters daily or every other day, know exactly what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are so you can do appropriate water changes (probably 20-50% daily) and youre somehow keeping it warm. Some fish will live longer in poor conditions than others, but bettas are not a hardy fish in general and they require healthy living conditions and tropical water. Its too bad your fish passed but look at is as a learning experience and do better next time. We've all been there.

9. OP
    OP
    Wrenne

Wrenne New Member Member

I only had him 12 days. And was doing regular water changes from the beginning. I understand everything you are saying. I was hoping to find a why. I've been thinking on what I did and did t do and regret some of my choices. I believe he was probably sick to begin with. Had I been more experienced I feel I could have recognised this sooner. I found another dead betta at the petsmart i bought him at since.

10. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

I know this is like two weeks after post but still. ALL pet stores keep bettas in uncomfortable, stressful, and dirty environments. It wasn’t your fault bettas 1 don’t like filters so you can either just clean it once a week %15 water change or get a filter and turn it on for like an hour every day. Also bettas naturally swim to the surface for air. Bettas do prefer warm waters but they will live without it. I know someone who has a male Betta in a 3 gallon tank no heater no filter and is still alive and very happy to this day and he’s 5 years old. It probably died just because of the poor conditions before.

11. DuaneV

Bettas dont like filters? First time Ive EVER heard that. ALL fish like filters. Its gives them healthy, clean, water. Its where your beneficial bacteria lives and provides a means to keep the water clear of ammonia. Bettas are also tropical and will not do well in colder temps. A heater is HIGHLY recommended unless you live somewhere that the ambient temps are constantly 80-85.

12. FishFor2018

The bettas don’t like filters because they don’t like currents so unless you get a low powered filter I would just turn it on for an hour a day. Also bettas are surprisingly hardy fish when it comes to temperature. They can and will happily live in a 65 degrees Fahrenheit tank.
    Edit: I meant to put 75 degrees Fahrenheit

13. DuaneV

Ive had bettas for over 20 years and Ive never heard any of this before. SOME dont like heavy flow, but thats usually ones with the larger fins (veil, delta, double, half moon, rose, etc.) as they have trouble swimming, but Ive had crowns, spades and plakats in large community tanks who played in the filter current all day long. Thats TOTALLY different than saying they dont like filters. There are easy ways to lower the flow, but only running a filter for an hour a day is crazy unless you have either a SUPER heavily planted tank (which plants are natural filtration) or youre vacuuming the tank and doing water changes daily.

And again, bettas are a tropical fish. Keeping them in a tank without a heater is just asking for all sorts of trouble. 65 is way too cold for a betta.

14. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Do not trust Pet “smart” s advice.

I think it was either the temp, parameters, or the Pimafix.

Pimafix is meant for fungal issues and has been reported to kill bettas(I think. Either Pimafix or Melafix).

If I was wrong about it killing bettas, I think it may have been a factor as this medicine didn’t do anything but bring stress to the fish.

15. FishFor2018

First I meant to say 75 and if you have a 10 gallon tank lets say with one Betta and a filter for an hour you only need to do %20 water change weekly that’s what I do and my water levels are always perfect

16. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Define perfect parameters.

Running a filter for an hour a day is like getting an AC unit and running it for one hour during the summer.

There really isn’t a use. Just leave it on like you would with an AC unit down in the south.

Bettas are fine with filters. It isn’t true that bettas don’t like turbulent water, but as long as the filter’s GPH is within 5-8x the tank volume, the betta will be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice