dead fish - urgent please help Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by parvataneni, Apr 15, 2010.

1. parvataneniValued MemberMember

Hi All,

1.5 hours back i did 50% water change in my 10g tank which has 6 danios and its in the cycling stage and reading are as of yesterday
    ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 2
    Nitrate 10

and i forgot to add prime after i added water and few min back i see a fish floating then i realised i forgot to add prime,since then i had two fish die ...please help urgent .i want to save the other fish too not sure what i can do now.Since 2 weeks i doing eveyr day water change of 50% adding prime to it.today i forgot adding prime ..just now i realised and added prime.

is there any thing i can do now to save rest of the fish please help .I see one more fish moving very slow then usual .. rest of them looks fine ...

i didnt feed fish today ..shall i feed them now to make little better

2. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

DO NOT FEED THEM The fish are stressed enough, and adding food will only add to the stress as they try to digest and live.

I'd be looking to do another water change immediately, followed by another in about 2hrs, then another 2hrs later.

probably 50% or more.

Wishing you the best of luck.

3. parvataneniValued MemberMember

Okay, i added Prime 15 min back, do you want me to wait till 2 hrs and then do a water change of another 50 %?

4. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Oh, I'm so sorry!
    Did you remember about the conditioner right away or was it 1 1/2 hours later?
    If you added it right after, that shouldn't have any ill effects. However, the fish are probably already weakened from being exposed to the cycling process.
    If it was 1 1/2, the chlorine would most likely be the cause of the deaths.
    A couple other things to think about:
    Was the new water the same remp as the tank water?
    Is the pH the same from tap to tank?
    Any chance there was soap or lotion on your hands?

I wouldn't feed them, it won't hurt to skip a day.
    Good luck I hope thing improve.

5. parvataneniValued MemberMember

I forgot about conditioner,i added after 1.5 hours later.water temp are same as what is in the fish tank.pH i didn't check , my tap water pH is 8 would that hurt my Danios ? i thought Danios are good at 8 pH.

should i do water change now or should i leave it till tomorrow evening and do water change as i do every day since last 2 weeks.

6. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Fish can adapt to different pH's. I was wondering about pH shock if there was a big difference from tap to tank, but that doesn't look to ne the issue.

:-\ Sounds like the cause was the chlorine if they were exposed for 1 1/2 hrs.
    I'm not sure about the water change. Sadly, I think the damage has been done.
    You can try like ryanr suggested. Not sure I'd do as much as 50% right now because they're weak.

7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

+1 Lucy.

I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to be the bearer of the bad news. :;hug2

It's a hard thing to deal with when we make mistakes, I really hope things get better.

8. parvataneniValued MemberMember

Okay as we are not sure, i will do the water change to tomorrow ... can Danios be good at 74 temperature ... that is what i maintained till now in these last 3 weeks.I have been watching my rest of the fish ...they seems be playing good ...they are all over the tank.may be thats a good sign i am not sure

9. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

:( I'm sorry to hear you're losing fish, Parvataneni. :console:

Your readings were from yesterday, it seems. If they're *still* testing at those levels, I'd do the water change. But if your readings are 0,0,10ish now because you added Prime, I'd just wait until tomorrow to do another change. I would think that Prime would protect the fish for a day...I'm not sure why you'd need to do water changes every 2 hours unless maybe you had toxins that Prime didn't address, but I don't know everything. :;dk

10. parvataneniValued MemberMember

yeah i will leave the water change to tomorrow, as i am watching my fish since last 30 minutes they are as normal as other day,its only those two fish died, i feel sorry.I made a mistake and they paid the price lesson learnt ..next time i will be more careful.

Thanks everyone for all your help

11. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

My suggestion about every 2 hours was to keep as much fresh water in the tank for the fish. The tank is still cycling, coupled with (potential) chlorine poisoning, I was thinking that fresher water would reduce the stress levels while the fish hopefully recover.

As for the temperature side of things, I would leave as much as I could constant. The less changes the fish have to endure atm, it's probably better for them.

12. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I'm glad the other fish are looking better.
    Don't be hard on your self. We all make mistakes. :;group

ryanr, not saying you're wrong about the water change. :)
    I'm just not really sure either way.
    The Prime should take care of the chlorine and detox the ammonia and nitrites for 24hrs.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  13. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Exactly my thoughts as well. :p

14. parvataneniValued MemberMember

With all your wishes i hope my rest of the fish stay alive and be healthy.

15. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

There's a lot of trial and error in this hobby, especially when you first start. You did the right thing by coming and asking questions. We have all made mistakes and will continue to make them. Hopefully, the mistakes get smaller and much less frequent the longer we keep fish. :console:

16. parvataneniValued MemberMember

Hi All,

I happy and glad to say that all my fish are doing really great.I did water change last two days and they seems to be happy and having fun,i was little sad when i lost my 2 fish but with all you help i fell so good that other fish are good.

Thanks once again for all your time and help.

17. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Great to hear! The hobby has its frustrations, doesn't it? But it's rewarding too. :) Glad you're enjoying it.

18. parvataneniValued MemberMember

Yeah its exciting n tense sometime but i really started liking very much.Believe me everyday i get from bed first thing i do is go straight to my fish and watch my fish for few min and then i do my rest of the stuff .... SO I AM LOVINNNNNNNNNNNNG it ....

19. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Heh, I think we've all been there. :p

20. parvataneniValued MemberMember

You are right!!!! watching them play especially as i heard from most of them Danios are very quick and easy going ..so i see all of them playing and sometime its like my fish doing circus ... ha ha :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice