Help Dead fish, please help!

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
I found one of my black neons dead last night, and I'm not sure what it died from. I observe my tank every day to check for issues and I didn't notice anything amiss until I found the little guy... If anyone can shed some light as to what is going on, I would really appreciate it.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallons

How long has the tank been running? Around 3 years

Does it have a filter? Yes

Does it have a heater? Yes

What is the water temperature? 84 (This is what my AC is set on and I do not have a cooling system for my tank)

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 5 Black Neons, 3 Otocinclus affinis

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 2 weeks

How much of the water do you change? 25-30%

What do you use to treat your water? I do not dechlorinate (I use well water)

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water? Test strips and API ammonia liquid test kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm
pH: 6.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily

How much do you feed your fish? As much as they can eat in about a minute

What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra min flakes

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? occasionally

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 weeks

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? I did not notice anything abnormal until finding the fish dead

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Redness and discoloration around the vent area

Have you started any treatment for the illness? No

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The fish seemed to be behaving normally until I found it.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I bought this fish about 2 weeks ago from PetSmart (I know, but they're the only fish store within 45 minutes of my house) to bump up my school of Black Neons. It seemed to be behaving normally until I found it dead. None of the other fish in my tank have any symptoms as of yet, so I'm not sure if it is some kind of injury the fish received or an infection/parasite of some kind. Thanks for your help!
Dead Black Neon 1.JPGDead Black Neon 2.JPGDead Black Neon 3.JPGDead Black Neon 4.JPG
 

MrBryan723

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,663
Reaction score
1,478
Location
Texas
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there any chance it might have been able to squeeze through the grate for your filter? I had a few guppies mysteriously die that looked very similar. I discovered they were taking a trip through the impeller while they were sleeping through a larger than should have been gap in the filter grate.
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
4,444
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
What ever the Black Neon died from, the cause probably wasn't your fault.
Sudden unexplained death of a new fish isn't uncommon. There's no telling what the Neon was exposed to between the hatchery & Petsmart.
As long as the tankmates are eating and otherwise acting normally probably no worries.
Might consider upping to a weekly 50% water change.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
A201 said:
What ever the Black Neon died from, the cause probably wasn't your fault.
Sudden unexplained death of a new fish isn't uncommon. There's no telling what the Neon was exposed to between the hatchery & Petsmart.
As long as the tankmates are eating and otherwise acting normally probably no worries.
Might consider upping to a weekly 50% water change.
Okay, thank you! I will up water changes for the next few weeks and keep an eye on things. If whatever it had was contagious and I start seeing symptoms in my other fish, what course of action should I take?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
MrBryan723 said:
Is there any chance it might have been able to squeeze through the grate for your filter? I had a few guppies mysteriously die that looked very similar. I discovered they were taking a trip through the impeller while they were sleeping through a larger than should have been gap in the filter grate.
I don't think it could have gone through the filter, the holes in the intake are too small.
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
4,444
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
The first sign of flashing, bump the heat up to 86 degrees.
I rarely use meds, but I do keep a bottle of Copper Sulfate, (Copper Safe) on hand just in case of Velvet - Oodinium.
Really not much can be done for a bacterial infection.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
Ok, thanks! The tank is already at 84 just from the house temperature so at least if I do end up seeing flashing, I won't have to worry about temperature stress.
 

FishBoy101

Well Known
Member
Messages
695
Reaction score
319
Location
Maryland
Experience
3 years
Bizarrer said:
Ok, thanks! The tank is already at 84 just from the house temperature so at least if I do end up seeing flashing, I won't have to worry about temperature stress.
I'm sorry for your loss.
 

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
658
Reaction score
515
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
If you have only had the black neons for about two weeks, then it is not uncommon for one or two, maybe a couple more to die. If you get by with only one death, then consider yourself lucky. These fish go through a lot before they reach their final home in you tank. Also take a look at the temp range for all your fish, on the web, 84 is high for black neons when I see the high range only 79 or 80. It will not kill them right away and they may live half their expected life span but it speeds up their metabolism causing fish to die sooner then they should.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
Utar said:
If you have only had the black neons for about two weeks, then it is not uncommon for one or two, maybe a couple more to die. If you get by with only one death, then consider yourself lucky. These fish go through a lot before they reach their final home in you tank. Also take a look at the temp range for all your fish, on the web, 84 is high for black neons when I see the high range only 79 or 80. It will not kill them right away and they may live half their expected life span but it speeds up their metabolism causing fish to die sooner then they should.
I have had all the other black neons for at least six months to a year- the new one was the only one that had a problem. The high temperature is only for the summer (when the air conditioner is set on 85ish during the day). During the winter I keep the tank temp at mid to high 70s.
 

MrBryan723

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,663
Reaction score
1,478
Location
Texas
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry this is off the subject, but how can you deal with the 84 let alone the fish??? Lol! I've been in Midland all week and was relieved with the cool and refreshing 101 today, but seriously I would die sleeping in this. Got my hotel room at 67 with a fan from home blowing on me.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
MrBryan723 said:
Sorry this is off the subject, but how can you deal with the 84 let alone the fish??? Lol! I've been in Midland all week and was relieved with the cool and refreshing 101 today, but seriously I would die sleeping in this. Got my hotel room at 67 with a fan from home blowing on me.
You get used to it... the temperature isn't nearly as bad when you're not dealing with the normal 70ish% humidity that is outside! We do turn it down to about 80 at night, though. Also, ceiling fans are a gift from God.
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,203
Reaction score
3,247
Location
Central Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
The first sign of flashing, bump the heat up to 86 degrees.
I rarely use meds, but I do keep a bottle of Copper Sulfate, (Copper Safe) on hand just in case of Velvet - Oodinium.
Really not much can be done for a bacterial infection.
With Otos in the tank any copper compounds are a bad idea.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
I just lost another tetra, and another of the remaining ones is not wanting to eat, although I have seen no signs of flashing. I'm wondering if this is some kind of internal parasite or fluke? What would be the best course of action to take?
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
4,444
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe excessive heat is the problem.
84 degrees is the equivalent to a lower temp. heat treatment for Ick.
During a heat treatment, surface agitation of the water needs to be vigorous as to ensure that enough oxygen is available for the fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
I don't think that the heat alone is the problem as the fish have been in water this temperature for the summer so far. I will increase surface agitation and see if that helps. Thank you!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
Bizarrer

Bizarrer

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
Experience
5 years
Update: I have lost all but one of my tetras and none of my otos. After researching and noticing white patchy places on my remaining tetra, I'm pretty sure the problem is columnaris. I did a brief salt dip this morning and I am planning on adding salt to the main tank and seeing if that helps to stop it spreading to my remaining four fish. I have treated the otos with low levels of salt about 6 months ago (when I had an ich outbreak) and they did not seem to have an adverse reaction in low concentrations.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
95
Guests online
1,837
Total visitors
1,932

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom