Dead fish in filter...

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by FishyPete, Dec 3, 2012.

1. FishyPete

FishyPeteNew MemberMember

I've just found a dead fish (1 inch long yo-yo loach) in a moving bed filter. It's in a difficult to reach position and will require dismantling quite a lot of stuff. It's almost 1am right now and with some pressing work that needs to be done before I go to bed. Will I need to remove the dead fish right away or can I wait until the next morning or after work?

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

ASAP is always better. If you can do a small water change that could buy you time. If it is only recent you should be ok until the morning but definitely try and do it as soon as possible. If the fish was sick then it could be spreading disease, and as it decays it will leach ammonia etc into your tank too.

3. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

The chain of thought I usually follow about if something has to be done now or if it can be left is: "If I am concerned enough about what has happened to ask on a thread if it has to be sorted immediately... it usually has to be sorted immediately!" lol I follow this for water condition fluctuations, cleaning, isolation etc
    Of course the exception would be treating with meds that I am uncertain of or for conditions I have not come accross before and needing double confirmation etc.

EDIT: Just read this back it sounds a bit nasty I didn't mean it to sound that way I was basically meaning trust your gut it's usually right!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

I hope your fish an aquarium will be ok....

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Sounds like the intake strainer is too large for the small fish. Loaches like to get up in the filter, so it's important to make sure that they can't get in.

6. OP
    OP
    FishyPete

FishyPeteNew MemberMember

Hi:
    Thanks for the replies. I took out the dead fish and am doing a water change. The MBF is one of my own design and is not a good one as there are too many places for thin fish to get into.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice