Dead Fish Found!(more fish dying:()

1. ammietia Initiate Member

Christmas one of my Zebra Danios were missing, we had thought that another one ate it, considering this extremely agressive fish i called Agri was in the tank. I had only added them for a week beforehand because i was just starting my tank. The Friday after we found its carcass stuck in the plant, covered in white fungus/algea and i onlt noticed because of the black dots for eyes. We soon removed it then the next day another one must have gotten its jaw stuck open by a rock or some kind of fishy lock jaw and would not eat, we took him out and the same plant that the otherone died in because it got stuck again, my dad flushed it soon after. My mom came back home with Bubble Molly's and 2 Algea Eaters. Now we have one in a Quarenteen jug with a whitish, algea like spot on its back, we are now doign a partial water change, what do i do now? are all my fish doomed to die?

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi ammietia,

Since you are just starting your tank, your tank will need to cycle. I would guess that your fish are dying from high ammonia levels in your tank. You will need to get an aquarium testing kit that will test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Check online or your local pet store. Here's more info:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/TheNitrogenCycle.htm

Also try searching on "cycle" in the search box above. There are many posts on the topic of cycling a new tank.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

Did you mean flushed it down the toilet when you said flushed it because you shouldn't really do that to dead fish as they could pass a disease to fish in the local waterways

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

hey j man wat should u do to deseased fish and is it ok to flush fish down the toilet period if its not wat should u do

5. dahly Member Member

Follow Mike's advice and cycle the tank. As far as deceased fish, some folks bury them in the garden. I've seen Pet shops throw them in the trash.

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I always bury my pet fish when they die. To me fish are special friends just like any other pets, not just decorations like some people seem to think. (I'm not saying that about anyone specifically here!)
    My advise to anyone new to fishkeeping is to do tons of research, read anything and everything you can get your hands on about fish! Then many of your questions will be answered. There could be a lot of reasons why your fish are dying, but I assure you it doesn't need to be that way. I used to lose every fish I bought, and I pretty much gave up fishkeeping. But I missed it so I did a ton of research and learned a ton of stuff I hadn't thought of before and now my fish are happy as can be. So learn everything you can about aquariums, water, and fish.
    Good luck!

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

I bury mine, your not supposed to flush them so they dont pass on disease to other fish in local water ways. Thats why they're not allowed to release even healthy fish into their own natural habitats incase they pass on a disease which could destroy the whole population