Dead fish, don't know why :(

1. AppleAmber Initiate Member

I got this guppy to be tankmates with my baby betta in a 10 gal tank three days ago but I today when I checked on my fish I found the guppy dead! Now first the betta didn't seem to like the guppy when I put the new bag in the betta's old tank so I put a divider up that blocked any fish from escaping it's side. This is a tank I used previously for reptiles but now it was empty and I used it for an aquarium. Anyways I got a filter, a self adjusting heater and I treated the water. 1/3 of the rocks I have used for fish in the past so they surely have helpful bacteria on it and same for two of the decorations. I didn't use soap for cleaning and I didn't put any fish deadly materials in the tank. The betta is still alive and well but the guppy only ate a nibble when I first got it so I attributed that behaviour to being in a new tank, also with the fact the guppy looked a little stressed due with classic new tank behaviors. There are no visible diseases, the fish didn't look emaciated, not visible injuries or low activity level. It's just like the guppy died with no know cause. Does anyone know what might have happened? I am worried for my betta whom I named Apollo, also Apollo wasn't constantly threatening the guppy but stayed in his own space doing his own thing.

2. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Guppies are not an idle tank mates with bettas.Since guppies are colourful and have large fins , they attacks them and ultimately kill them.

3. AppleAmber Initiate Member

I had a working divider though, the bettw never got to the guppy :/

4. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Your betta will be well . No need tp worry. Whatever it is ,
    Welcome to fishlore!

5. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

How long ago did the tank have reptiles in it?
    How did you clean and disinfect the tank?
    Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?
    Do you have a water chemistry test kit?
    Did you test your water?
    What was the result?
    How did you acclimate the guppy?
    Where did you buy it from and were there dead fish in the tank?

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas breath air from the top as well getting it from the water. If your tank wasn't cycled that could be why you lost the guppy. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Read up on the nitrogen cycle by clicking on the words in the above post. :;hi1Alison

7. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Just wanna chip in about the reptile tank, generally these are made with thinner glass and weaker seals than required for aquariums, so I would check for any leaks. You shouldn't have too much of a problem since it's a small tank, but be careful.

8. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! :)
    besides what was said above, in general it's not a very good idea to put another fish in with a betta, even with a divider... bettas are known to jump.