Question Dead Fish Cleanup

brlandwehr

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So... had my first death in the new (populated ~1 month) tank today. :'(

Haven't found anything notably alarming - Ammonia and Nitrite are zero, Nitrate is low, pH is mildly elevated compared to normal but not what I'd consider alarming. The one that died was my male Dalmatian Molly, 2nd-largest fish in the tank. Generally speaking he was the pig of the tank (biggest eater by far) and I think #2 in the dominance chain.

Three of the fish in the tank are new, about 1 week in - but I don't see any white stuff on any of the fish that would suggest something like Ich (have never seen it before, but not seeing anything alarming now/yet).

So ... I'm not seeing alarming chemicals, fighting or white spots. He was alive when I left for work and dead when I got home ... pulled him out and flushed. Anything else I should do or look for in the interests of the living?

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi brlandwehr!

Sorry to hear about your dalmantian molly! One bump in what will hopefully otherwise be a long and smooth road. Sometimes it can just happen.

The best you can do for your remaining fish now is watch for changes in behavior or appearance. There's dozens of different symptoms and it can be hard to tell with some fish due to their color.

Also, are you aware of what is elevating your pH above it's norm?

Best wishes for your tank!

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
How much did you pH change? If it was too quickly, that could have been a factor to your loss. Sometimes there are losses for no known reason. I agree that you should watch the remaining fish and monitor your water parameters for changes.

Good luck.

brlandwehr

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PH change was 8.0 to 8.2, not much but it was pretty much the only think that twitched at all, so thought I'd mention it.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is your water clear?

The only time I ever lose my mollies is when
1. the water gets dirty (eg I didn't gravel vac properly)
or
2. I forget to change my carbon (which unfortunately I used to forget a LOT, I now make calendar warnings for once a month). I don't know why lack of carbon makes my fishies unhappy, but that always seems to be the issue.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom