Dead Female Praecox Rainbowfish

ginkgomw

Hi all. Over the past few days, one of my dwarf neon rainbowfish has started looking bloated, which I assumed was just overeating, until yesterday she started breathing really quickly and acting lethargic. When I woke up this morning, I found her dead. I got her, along with 4 others (I've been planning on getting a 6th but I'm waiting for them to come back in stock) about a month ago, and they had all been looking great until this happened. The major change in the tank is I added some hornwort about a week after I got the rainbowfish, which did not go well at all, and this morning I threw it out. The tank is a 29 gallon that has been up and running for about 2 years, and the other inhabitants are 2 red eye tetras (leftovers from one of my mom's tanks to keep it cycled while I waited to get others at the start of this school year) and one young angelfish. I haven't noticed any aggression or anything. My guess is that she had some kind of internal parasite, and I had actually noticed an internal red spot yesterday just behind her abdomen, which may have been food, but now I'm afraid it was something worse... I never saw anything red poking out, though. My big question is, what can I do preventatively for the other guys in the tank to prevent more carnage? I'm about to do a water change now, since it's been over a week anyway, and just try to keep the water as clean as possible for them. Would anything beyond that be a good idea, or would I just be causing unnecessary stress? Does it sound like internal parasites, or could she have been egg-bound or something less upsetting to the rest of the tank?

Also:
pH 6.6 (tap comes out around 8.4 so I use a buffer)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 pre-wc
Filter is a Sunsun 303A and a mini sponge filter for extra aeration
Temp is around 80 degrees F. The heater's written temps aren't super accurate, but it's very stable, so I'm still trying to get that sorted out.

ginkgomw

Also, don't worry - I know these guys need more space to roam. Right now, they're tiny, so I'm treating this like a grow-out tank until they're big enough to live with my blood parrot, who's pretty peaceful but big enough that I don't want to take chances.

Upvote 0

A201

Intestinal parasites often make a fish gaunt & wasted. Bloating can be an indicator of intestinal bacteria problems, among other diseases.
No need to panic. IMO, your decision to up the WC's is the right way to go. Really nothing else to do other than watch for symptoms on the other fish.

Upvote 0

ginkgomw

Intestinal parasites often make a fish gaunt & wasted. Bloating can be an indicator of intestinal bacteria problems, among other diseases.
No need to panic. IMO, your decision to up the WC's is the right way to go. Really nothing else to do other than watch for symptoms on the other fish.
Thank you for the quick response! Yeah, it was mainly the random red spot that had me concerned. The remaining female has actually started looking slightly bloated today too (maybe just paranoia, maybe just overate). I don't plan on dosing any meds if I don't have too, but could it have been a constipation thing? After some research, I just saw that they may require more plant foods than I thought. I've just been feeding them bug bites flakes because my angelfish is weirdly picky and won't eat pellets, but would it be a good idea to start feeding some peas every so often?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
reeelax
Replies
Views
WrenFeenix
Replies