dead corydoras panda

1. ggents Initiate Member

okay basically one of my corydoras pandas died, and i have no idea why
    i started off with 4 in a 20 gallon and i only have one left :/
    the first got stuck under a rock and died nearly straight away then the other 3 were fine for about just over a month, then i started getting a cyano bacteria problem and another died. i started to combat this by frequent water changes and added a powerhead for more circulation, and now the problems nearly gone but a week after adding that improved circulation i found one of them dead :s :confused:
    the only problem i had with that corycat was it got stuck behind a filter for about a few hours before i realised and saved it but that was 2 days before it died :/

additional info
    the tanks over filtrated with 2 filters, one rated for 90L , the other rated for 45L
    added duckweed for taking up excess nutrients (gas exchange not problem, i added a divider at the surface to keep one half covered by duckweed and the others kept agitated by the filters)
    its a planted tank
    sand substrate as a cap for dirt underneath
    it was found dead today and after finding it stuck behind that filter it was swimming funny
    last 2 weeks ive been doing waterchanges about every 3 days (ish) due to that cyanobacteria
    oh and theres lso 6 phantom tetras in there and ive literally had no problems with them at all, so why are my corys being so difficult :mad:
    i live in a hardwater area maybe its that ? but then why are the deaths so random and far apart

i probably left info out/ didnt explain something properly so ask questions, and thank you in advance :)

pics of dead cory ( normal colouration however i noticed some red marks on its side and i have no idea what underneath him )
    IMG_1857-.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg

(sorry for possibly poor quality i had to cut them down to upload them

2. greenbeanette Member Member

Hi, I'm sorry about your fish :( Do you know what your water parameters are like (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Panda are really sensitive to less-than-ideal water conditions.

3. ggents Initiate Member

thanks :/ Its just so fustrating when i dont know what im doing wrong :(
    and i don't own a test kit, but after my waterchanges every few days surely it can't be ammonia ect and with the over filtration

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I suspect the dirted bottom. How long after setting up the dirt did you add the corydoras? Dirted tanks need a good month or more to let the ammonia out of the dirt. As the corydoras are being affected, it makes me wonder.

5. ggents Initiate Member

the corys were added about a month and a half after the dirt. hmm possible, but then why did they live for a few months after i put them in :s .
    just confussedd :/

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Filtration Rate does not Equal Cycling or Bacteria Colony

I am sorry to hear about your fish. I have a couple panda cories and I love them. But, elieve me, it is not how much filtration you have, but how much good bacteria has built up in your system. I have a 60 gallon aquarium and I am moving 1020 gallons an hour. I still got skyrocketing ammonia and nitrite until my tank cycled and stabilized and that took months.... maybe due to soooo much filtration I don't know. I was doing over 50% water changes on a DAILY basis to keep my counts down. I would urge you to get a test kit for at least ammonia and nitrite if you can. That might not have been the problem, but we will never know. It is possible that it was the problem.:;voices:p

7. ggents Initiate Member

ah and i thought i was doing a lot of water changes :p
    okay so taking your tank as a example your 60 gallon with 1020 gallons a hour turns the water over 17 times a hour
    mines 20 gallons with (200 L/h and 600L/h) 211 gallons a hour so thaat makes mine at 10.55 times a hour

okay so maybe, do you recommend me upgrading filters, or with my now reduced bio-load is there much point? especially since theres now only 1 cory and 6 tetras ( if i did the inch per gallon stocking rule i can still get like 13 more inches of fish :/ )
    im probably being difficult but i just dont think its the problem

oh and thank you guys for your help. sorry if i seem rude i just really loved those corydoras :(

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Have you poked the dirt to check for gas bubbles?

9. ggents Initiate Member

just checked, only one tiny bubble
    starting to think maybe internal parasite ?

10. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You are doing great!!

I would not suggest you upgrade your filtration. I am sure it is fine. I am just saying, filtration and bacterial colony are not the same thing. And I am overfiltering. Make sure your tank is totally cycled and not spiking due to mulm or anything else.

11. ggents Initiate Member

yeahh il leave it how it is, will i be okay adding more tetras?
    and will a single cory cat be okay by its self? im not buying more as they cost £5 each, and if i have no idea whats killing them im not willing to kill more off

and another question is there any problems at all from over filtering?
    (aside from cost ofc :p ) debating to buy a external filter for my goldie tank :)

12. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd get a test kit before more corydoras. Can the fish store test your water for you? Do you have another tank to put the cory in? If not I'd wait it out until you're sure you know what's happening.

13. ggents Initiate Member

yeah il wait it out and only add fast growing plants, if the last cory goes il consider focusing on the tetras or maybe adding shrimp
    thank you everyone :)

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

I cannot stress the importance of owning your own test kit. You cannot see or smell an issue with water parameters. Depending on what is happening with your tank, you may be in a position to need to do back to back water changes because a certain parameter is much too high. Cories are very sensitive to less than ideal water parameters, where Tetras are a tiny bit better. This could be what is happening in your tank.

:;fIf you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.