Dead computer screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirdarksol, Apr 14, 2010.

1. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

A few weeks ago, my cat (same one that destroyed my last computer, darnit) knocked a glass of water over and sent water flying everywhere, including onto my monitor.
    Water got into the circuits, and I didn't wait long enough to turn the monitor back on, and I burned out either the light or the power inverter for the light. I'm currently operating on the theory that it's the inverter, because that's the easier one to deal with. If that turns out to be wrong, I'll deal with the light.

I found instructions on how to fix such things (for about a twentieth of what it would cost to have a pro do it), and am working on it, but criminy, they certainly don't make computer repair easy. Sony uses a ton of glue to hold their monitors together, and i nearly broke the screen just trying to get the frame off. I now know what type of inverter I need, and my old Vaio doesn't have the same type, so I can't use that. I've got to hope that my wife's old one is the same, or I'll have to order one, which will take forever, because nobody keeps these things in stock...
    The repair itself is a snap; unplug two cords and plug them into the new part. It's just getting to that point is nearly impossible.
    Rant over.

2. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3Valued MemberMember

Dang sorry to hear that hope you get it fixed :(

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Yikes! Naughty kitty! I really hope you get it resolved soon. Computer issues are so annoying.

4. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

They really are a pain. I can attach my computer to the TV and use it, (which is why I know that the video card is working) but that defeats the purpose of having a laptop. Plus, it's not really comfortable to sit two feet away from the TV (my VGA cord is short) while working.

5. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Oh that sucks :( I was talking to a computer repair guy about mine and he was saying that with laptops it isn't that their parts are any harder to repair, but in worst case senario's you have to pay for 4 hours work on a 30 second fix, the works taking it apart and putting it back togeather again :(

Hope everything goes well you :)

6. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

I'm potentially seconds away from fixing the problem. The power inverter from my wife's old comp is built exactly the same, just two of the parts on it have different numbers on them. I just need to find out if this matters.

7. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

It's Alive!!!

My wife's old power inverter works! Yay!

8. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Awesome! Nice save, SDS!!!! :;hf

9. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Glad to hear it's fixed :)
    Carol

10. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Wow! Got me worried there reading the first half of your thread, SDS! haha Glad it's alright now! :) :;hf

11. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Congrats SDS, great save!

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good job SDS.
    So glad you were able to fix it yourself. I would have had to purchase another one :(

Here kitty kitty kitty! :)

Ken

13. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

With Vaios at least, it's an easy fix (for a computer), if you've got the part. You've just got to remove four screws and then undo the tape (which is, admittedly, no easy task. They use tape affixed with superglue, it seems). The power inverter is a really obvious piece of electronics, and it has two simple plugs going into it.

14. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Good job SDS! Glad you were able to get your lap top fixed!

:nono: Naughty kitty shouldn't be drinking water while using the computer! lol

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  15. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Good job SDS!!!!!!!!!!:;hf

16. Karl RValued MemberMember

Squirt guns I have found are an invaluable tool for keeping kitty out of where he/she has no business being. Like atop my aquarium on a deep sea fishing trip at three in the morning!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice