Dead common pleco

Daisey122

I just got a new pleco and added to my 75 gallon it was a small common pleco not even 4 inches yet and I came in today turned on the light and found it dead. I had to do a water change as my water levels were out of wack I also added a bamboo plant. Advice? Questions to help me figure out why. My other pleco that is maybe 5-6 inches is perfectly fine besides being a little fat.

SM1199

What water levels were out of wack? It is possible your tank wasn't cycled or adding the pleco triggered an ammonia spike, and either way you may have had elevated ammonia levels to blame for your dead fish.

Daisey122

AcornTheBetta

Daisey122 said:
The ammonia was high and the nitrites I believe. I’m doing small partial water changes daily and I used easy balance
My bet is on ammonia poisoning then. Just for future reference, common plecos need at least 100g, if not more.

SM1199

Daisey122 said:
The ammonia was high and the nitrites I believe. I’m doing small partial water changes daily and I used easy balance
If your ammonia is up, it's time to do some big water changes daily until your cycle catches back up!

goldface

Regardless of the current water quality, when a fish dies this quickly soon after purchasing, it's likely you purchased an already sick or dying fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom