Dead Butterfly Loach. Not Sure What Happened

Mrkoala

Reaction score
I started my tank a week ago and have been doing test. Everything has been going fine until this Morning I found my butterfly loach dead.
I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong
I’m out of water testing stuff so I’m going today to buy a new master kit.

Attachments

OP
Mrkoala

Mrkoala

Reaction score
It’s been cycled and it’s had plenty of food
I’ll wait until the next cycle to get another one if that will help?

OP
Mrkoala

Mrkoala

Reaction score
Yeah I somewhat know cycling but I’m still new to it. Also I added fertilizer for my plants yesterday could that have an effect on the fish?
The store I bought it from said it wouldn’t.

BobbyGregg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love the Hillstream Loach, what a great little cleaner. When I first started I got one, but the ammonia got to high and thats what I believe Killed him. They are sensitive to ammonia and ph fluctuations I found out. I now have a 25g cycled tank and he keeps it clean, I love watching him float through the tank from plant to grass, dont use a gravel substrate they are not hard bodied would prefer sand. Definitely get your API Master Test Kit get yoyr tank cycled properly and def get another HS Loach. Also fun Loach is the Dojo Loach. I have 5 and they are amazing.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, as already said above Hillstream (Butterfly) Loaches need cooler, well oxygenated, very clean water with a decent amount of water flow for them to flourish, not sure either what you mean by 'the next cycle'? Do you mean swapping filter cartridges? If you started your tank a week ago, unless you used pre-cycled media in your filter your tank will not be cycled. Fish like Hillstreams should only ever be added to a well cycled mature tank or they do not do well as you've unfortunately found, let us know what your water parameters are once you've tested & we can help more.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.6%

Top Bottom