Dead berried cheery shrimp

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hi all woke up to a dead berried cherry shrimp this morning, they only arrived thursday (13th) and i thought all were settling in okay water parameters looking normal i cycled with whiteclouds for 2 months the aquarium is planted.

0 ammonia
0 nitrate
between 15-20 nitrate
7.6 ph
8 GH
10 KH

im looking at her now in a spec jar she has a missing space on her carapace where it's very very white and the rest of her is very red still almost like she's tried to malt but failed has anybody experienced this? should i panic or is in to be expected she was shipped berried maybe the stress of that would do it?

anyway her 19 compadres all look happy enough, although so did she yesterday..

any help is much appreciated
(i mention white clouds but they were all moved to a 55 gallon the day before the shrimp arrive this is a shrimp only tank)

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you photograph

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thsts a failed moult and the fact they went in Thursday says she didn't acclitimise right, this can be caused by to two things at the moment
1st you didn't drip them long enough
2nd her age, older shrimp find it harder to be moved around.
The eggs can be removed then tumbled and will still hatch.

Sucking the shrimp into a clear tube while in water will give a much more clear photo

Attachments

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richie.p said:
Thsts a failed moult and the fact they went in Thursday says she didn't acclimatise right, this can be caused by to two things at the moment
1st you didn't drip them long enough
2nd her age, older shrimp find it harder to be moved around.
The eggs can be removed then tumbled and will still hatch.
thank you so much you put my mind at ease about my water, still a bad thing to wake up too
ty for photo advice aswell

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where in the uk are you

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In bedford. Got relations in winterbourn down your in the prime part ok the uk to harvest mulbury leaves if you intend to keep shrimp

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richie.p said:
In bedford. Got relations in winterbourn down your in the prime part ok the uk to harvest mulbury leaves if you intend to keep shrimp
wow awesome i better look into that sounds wicked, i have catapa leaves right now

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
catapa are good ,the mulbury would have dropped and rotted by now but its worth pinpointing a tree for the future,it carries fruit like blackberries

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
can i ask how long is too long to have a catapa leaf in a tank? also do you heat your shrimp? i don't

i use a handheld laser thermometer i check the temps of my tanks every morning and night my shrimp are up to 72 in the day and down to 69/70 at night time

Inner10

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up about it, often when shrimp get into new water they moult, you water has good parameters. You little lady had a stuck moult. Which sucks but it happens. Not acclimating slow enough is not necessarily the cause.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i keep mine at 72f 22.5c keeping them without a heater is ok as long as there's not a big fluctuation which will kill them, also if you get a slow drop over night the volume of water will find it hard to climb during the day. leave the Catappa in until everything as gone except the main branch of the leaf, it will take a few months to break down. Tell me how did you acclimate them

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i had clear instructions from the breeder to float the bag and then after half an hour with the light off add a cup of my water, wait a further 30 mins then release

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that's not a practice i'd endorse, that would have played a part in a faild moult, the idea of drip acclimation is to equilise all water parameters not to shock your shrimp, example if the shrimp in the bag were at a gh5 and you put a cup of water in with a gh10 that's instant shoch and a forced moult resulting in death,

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richie.p said:
that's not a practice i'd endorse, that would have played a part in a faild moult, the idea of drip acclimation is to equilise all water parameters not to shock your shrimp, example if the shrimp in the bag were at a gh5 and you put a cup of water in with a gh10 that's instant shoch and a forced moult resulting in death,
darn, being a beginner i just followed the instructions supplied, won't do that again! are the others still at risk because of this?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they can be it depends now how they adapted. we get a lot of this and when we break things down we eventully
find out where things went wrong, with time and experence you will know what's best.
I will always advise and have done for many years to drip cherries for at least 2hrs, a lot of people get away with it and this is why they say to drop them in,
Its importent now not to do anything drastic just leave things take its course, its very rare to loose them all, its important to understand your water and how it affects shrimp.

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richie.p said:
Yes they can be it depends now how they adapted. we get a lot of this and when we break things down we eventully
find out where things went wrong, with time and experence you will know what's best.
I will always advise and have done for many years to drip cherries for at least 2hrs, a lot of people get away with it and this is why they say to drop them in,
Its importent now not to do anything drastic just leave things take its course, its very rare to loose them all, its important to understand your water and how it affects shrimp.
that was exactly my thought i've left them alone, learn that with keeping fish, less is more sometimes i really appreciate your help as a beginner shrimp keeper :D i guess there is nothing to do but wait and hope I'm left with males and females when everything evens out to rebuild! thanks again

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok also think about feeding tell what your doing and maybe we can add and benefit your stock

Raviolio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I overestimated how long it would take for 20 rcs to eat an algae wafer it was taking them way too long that was yesterday so I'm just letting them graze on biofilm today. For the months the white clouds were in I grew algae for that exact reason

I also have been watching allot of videos of people feeding blanched veggies I like that idea too do you have any recommendations? I also read that every other day is sufficient for feeding shrimp is this accurate?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads