Dead balloon molly(pictures of my dead fish in this post)

gypsy32

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
1
Points
43
Experience
Just started
Hi,

One of my balloon mollies died tonight, it was healthy last night at feeding time, swimming about like normal & eating but tonight he was dead

The strange thing is his gills were black, not red from blood but black, i have never seen this before

Does anyone know what might have caused this, i have other balloon mollies they are healthy but i don't want to lose them to the same thing

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app
 

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Messages
768
Reaction score
20
Points
53
Experience
2 years
Sorry for your loss

From looking at your profile, it looks like you might have some stocking issues. Which tank was this molly in, and what other fish are in the tank?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

gypsy32

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
1
Points
43
Experience
Just started
Thanks

I have just found another molly dead with the same black gills,
These were in the 160 litre tank, i am a tad overstocked in this tank, i have 10 guppies, 5 bumblebee gobies, 2 bristlenoses, 10 cories 12 khuli loaches, and a couple of other fish

I do 3 water changes of about 30% each week & i have had these mollies for about 6 months now, to lose 2 within an hour of each other its a bit worrying, the other fish all look fine
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 - 80


Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app
 

Coradee

Moderator
Messages
16,337
Reaction score
4,058
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you tested your water? Dark brown gills can be a sign of nitrite poisoning

Edit: you posted as I was typing, your test results would rule out nitrite poisoning.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom