Dead balloon molly(pictures of my dead fish in this post)

1. g

gypsy32 Valued Member Member

Hi,

One of my balloon mollies died tonight, it was healthy last night at feeding time, swimming about like normal & eating but tonight he was dead

The strange thing is his gills were black, not red from blood but black, i have never seen this before

Does anyone know what might have caused this, i have other balloon mollies they are healthy but i don't want to lose them to the same thing

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss :(

From looking at your profile, it looks like you might have some stocking issues. Which tank was this molly in, and what other fish are in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    g

gypsy32 Valued Member Member

Thanks

I have just found another molly dead with the same black gills,
    These were in the 160 litre tank, i am a tad overstocked in this tank, i have 10 guppies, 5 bumblebee gobies, 2 bristlenoses, 10 cories 12 khuli loaches, and a couple of other fish

I do 3 water changes of about 30% each week & i have had these mollies for about 6 months now, to lose 2 within an hour of each other its a bit worrying, the other fish all look fine
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40 - 80

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Have you tested your water? Dark brown gills can be a sign of nitrite poisoning

Edit: you posted as I was typing, your test results would rule out nitrite poisoning.