dead apple snail

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My apple snail died after a week i dont know why, now algae is building up. What snail do you reccomend thats low maintenance and are pretty hardy. I dont know why this one died, but if any suggestions please tell...im finally going tonight to Big Als
Thanks lola allen

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would advise getting a mystery snail, because I have had one for a few months now and it does great work.
Tom

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok thanks a mystery snail... so it should pick up the algae and waste that seems to be appearing at the side of my tank

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It will just eat the algae, like other snails. It only covers a small distanst with it's mouth but it does the job.
Tom

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
alright, I mean i know what algae looks like but it isnt on the bottom only on the sides...likea dark green almost brown looking colour, but that might be waste. Like i got my fish two months ago and i cleaned it once the improper way. So i think its also because i need to clean the tank (like waters crystal clear still its just the sides..it started like a day ago). I know its really bad of me Its just i went to the petstore in my town, the only one and they didnt have the gravel vac. So i have to travel like 45 minutes to a fish store. But ive been promised im going tomorrow, so ill get that (because im finally going to get a bigger tank)...so hopefully it will all work out. ok thanks

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Wal-mart store in my area carries a gravel vac you might check in your area, in my humble opinion you don't need a power vacuum for you small tanks, again just my opinion and your money. I'm remembering you having 10 and 5 gal. tanks

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hi shelby,
ok so what do i use to clean my 5 gallon?
i live in canada (our walmarts, or at least the ones i have been to dont carry fish)

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where in Canada are you? I'm preety sure the Wal-mart near me sells different types of vacuums to clean the vacuum.
Tom

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i live in Vancouver. tRUST ME I HAVE MOVED A BUNCH never saw a walmart only wheni was like four. Some places in Ontario are like that too (used to live there)
but ok what do i use then to clean a 5 gallon tank if a gravel vac isnt a good idea

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would really like to know this beacause i am going to the store today to get something to clean my tank, so the sides wont get mucky anymore...i dont know what to get just a snail or a snail and a vac?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If by mucky you mean algae, than get a snail or two, and if you mean actual gunk, get a handheld sponge that will clean the glass of the tank(with applied force), between those 2 items, you should have no problem keeping your tank clean anymore.
Tom

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry lola gurl I guess the LFS is your only place The vacuum will not keep algae off your glass, I use a scrubber brush, be sure if you get one to get the right kind, for glass if your tank is glass or acrylic if your tank is acrylic, I've also heard of Magna-float or something like that it comes in 2 pieces. a magnet holds the 2 pieces together with the glass between, you pull the one outside and the one inside scrapes the algae off. The vacuum is for cleaning of the gravel to help control the growth of algae.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom