Dead angels

Tjkj

I recently upgraded to a 55 gallon tank. I used established media from my old tank and all the same bioload as I didn’t buy any new fish. In the tank there were 6 zebras and 2 fiveish cm Angels. One angel died in the old tank of unknown reasons took my water to the fish shop and they said it was all fine and was probably a bad fish the first angel became very weak and was turning upside down in the tank constantly until it died after about a day. Anyway fast forwarding to the new tank it’s been up for a couple of weeks now and has consistently had a concentration of around 0.25 ppm ammonia which I’ve been managing with prime and water changes every couple of days I guess the bacteria didn’t make it… almost a week ago my second angel died showing similar symptoms as the first but turning on its side and crashing to the bottom this time and that angel died in a day just like the other one. I’m trying to figure out what’s happened here? I’ve been managing ammonia with double doses of prime and the water the first fish died in was fine so what has caused this fish to die and could 0.25 ppm kill the other fish? I’ve also added dr timms one and only in the last day and nothing has changed with the ammonia as of yet does anyone know how long this process takes with dr timms?

Azedenkae

I doubt the ammonia killed the fish. First off, 0.25ppm ammonia is not really that high anyways. secondly, you've been dosing Prime. Thirdly, measuring 0.25ppm ammonia is very normal in established tanks. The beneficial bacteria that consume ammonia is very robust, and really it'd be more of a yes/no situation, i.e. can or can't the bacteria handle all the ammonia it can get its hands on. So really that 0.25ppm is more likely a false positive reading, or just a very low baseline amount of ammonia constantly produced that is yet to be consumed. Don't forget that the resolution of the test kits are limited too, so it could really be more like say 0.05ppm ammonia and the test kit may still register as 0.25ppm for example.

Moving on from that. What's your nitrite? I am very sure it's zero, but figured I'd ask anyways.

Anyways, could very well be some sort of disease. And I think this is more likely. Issues with parameters often affect the same species of fish concurrently, rather than one fish and then weeks later another. Sounds more like a disease that the first got that transferred to the second, and now the second is starting to die. I don't know enough about diseases to be certain though, sorry.

Tjkj

I doubt the ammonia killed the fish. First off, 0.25ppm ammonia is not really that high anyways. secondly, you've been dosing Prime. Thirdly, measuring 0.25ppm ammonia is very normal in established tanks. The beneficial bacteria that consume ammonia is very robust, and really it'd be more of a yes/no situation, i.e. can or can't the bacteria handle all the ammonia it can get its hands on. So really that 0.25ppm is more likely a false positive reading, or just a very low baseline amount of ammonia constantly produced that is yet to be consumed. Don't forget that the resolution of the test kits are limited too, so it could really be more like say 0.05ppm ammonia and the test kit may still register as 0.25ppm for example.

Moving on from that. What's your nitrite? I am very sure it's zero, but figured I'd ask anyways.

Anyways, could very well be some sort of disease. And I think this is more likely. Issues with parameters often affect the same species of fish concurrently, rather than one fish and then weeks later another. Sounds more like a disease that the first got that transferred to the second, and now the second is starting to die. I don't know enough about diseases to be certain though, sorry.
Yeah I didn’t think that level of ammonia would’ve killed it off just thought I’d check anyway especially as I was managing it appropriately. My nitrates are zero also. I’m thinking it’s a disease too because I have 6 zebras and a few CPD’s in the tank that are all doing great and have been for months. I’m hoping the ammonia will drop off soon though as I remember well how annoying it was establishing my other tank!! Both angels were from the same batch and the same colourings so all I can assume is that it was a bad batch. Many thanks for your advice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
alven
Replies
Views
JenC
  • Question