De-Nitrifying Lava Rocks

1. sailor7x Member Member

I have heard of De-Nitrifying Lava Rocks being sold online. Anybody had any experience with them? :;alien

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Seachem makes de*nitrate, which is a porous rock substance that will cultivate the bacteria needed for complete denitrification. HOWEVER, they state that it needs to be in a canister filter and the flow rate must be less than 50 gph. Not many filters fit that bill, so.... not a very useful product ;)

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I disagree that nitrates above 40ppm are damaging to fish. There are some fish that show signs of stress in a nitrate heavy environment, but just as many that dont. The same for inverts. I think it depends on the environment they have adapted to though.

IMO nitrates are always taken away through good frequent WC's or planting a tank. Products as such seem like to far to go for me.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, 40 is not that much. I wouldn't be concerned till it was in the triple digits. But the only way to get nitrates in the triple digits is to not do water changes on an overstocked tank, so I again agree with Ryan that a regular water change schedule is best.

That's not to say that you can't make a nitrate filter, because you can. There are a few ways to do it. It's just a matter of whether or not it's necessary, and in most cases it is not.

5. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Saltwater, yes... freshwater, no...

There are easier ways IMO and IME.

I guess if you're not short on the moola you could consider it.

6. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i use lava rock from the garden center in my filters....not sure about the product you're talking about though...

7. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I have many lava rocks in my 55 gallon, but still get decent nitrate readings when I test the water. I'm not sure exactly what they're claiming is different about them...if it was the porosity, well there are small holes in between rocks in your substrate, so in that case, the same effect should happen there (assuming you don't vacuum the gravel and stir up the rocks, of course). In my opinion, sounds like a method to look for more money ;)

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think what they are claiming is that in the center of the rock, the water flow is slow enough, and oxygen depleted enough, for complete denitrification to occur. Those are the 2 requirements - slow flow and low oxygen.

9. sailor7x Member Member

interesting comments guys...thanks!