Question DAY#8 POST TSS - should I start over with TSS again?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DAY#8 POST TSS - should I start over with TSS again? or should I keep doing pwc and hope it cycles soon?
My readings today:

Ammonia = 0.25
Nitrites = 0.25
Nitrates = 5.0

I did 50% water change + Prime

I am semi reluctant to do another TSS cycle since this one failed but this water change every day is just as bad. Is there any hope for this? Should I just keep doing the pwc for another week in the hopes it cycles????? I thought I was a patient person but this is really wearing me out!

My 5 gallon tank is now on day #8 of the TSS cycle so another added stress wondering if that one will work or not..

TIA!

Junne

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have never used TSS myself, but I am fairly certain you are not supposed to test the water or do water changes during the cycle, nor are you supposed to use Prime. It is my understanding that you set up the tank, dechlorinate with Tetra AquaSafe, dump in the entire bottle of TSS, wait two hours, and then put in a few fish. Then for 10-14 days you do NOTHING except feed the fish, of course - no testing, no water changes.

I would recommend using TSS again, but this time as per the instructions. Many members have had great success with it. You may wish to read this thread, as it is more in-depth than the purportedly terrible directions on the bottle (I haven't seen them myself): https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never used TSS myself, but I am fairly certain you are not supposed to test the water or do water changes during the cycle, nor are you supposed to use Prime. It is my understanding that you set up the tank, dechlorinate with Tetra AquaSafe, dump in the entire bottle of TSS, wait two hours, and then put in a few fish. Then for 10-14 days you do NOTHING except feed the fish, of course - no testing, no water changes.

I would recommend using TSS again, but this time as per the instructions. Many members have had great success with it. You may wish to read this thread, as it is more in-depth than the purportedly terrible directions on the bottle (I haven't seen them myself): https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/
I DID do everything exactly as posted above with no success and yes, I READ the in depth tread BEFORE starting the cycle.
I DON'T believe it was anything I did but thanks for the info!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi jwebbe
In your first post you said you did a water change using prime.
According to Tetra you're not supposed to use a water conditioner that detox's ammonia like Prime does.
It will cause TSS to fail.

Also, Tetra does state that there might be an ammonia reading and the water shouldn't be tested for 14 days.
You are only on day 8.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi jwebbe
In your first post you said you did a water change using prime.
According to Tetra you're not supposed to use a water conditioner that detox's ammonia like Prime does.
It will cause TSS to fail.

Yes I did - it says 8 days POST TSS - meaning on day 15 after the TSS cycle showing elevated readings, I am on DAY #8 after the TSS

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry if it wasn't clear. I started TSS on May 1st, 14 days later, I did testing with API master test. At that time the reading were high, I was advised by members on this board to do a water change + prime

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes I did - it says 8 days POST TSS - meaning on day 15 after the TSS cycle showing elevated readings, I am on DAY #8 after the TSS
Ohh my apologies! I misread, I thought that you were on day 8. Well, if you read the thread before you used TSS, I can only assume you did everything correctly. I know every once in awhile it doesn't work for some people, but most people have great success. If you do not wish to try again, then you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way, which I can say from experience, is a pain in the butt! If it is within your means to purchase another bottle (it's pretty expensive stuff, which is why I went without), that would probably be easiest.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, I see.
Yeah, not everyone has success using it.

Also Tetra does say the tank may need to be dosed twice.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So how long do you think with me doing the pwc do you think this will last, based on my current water readings?
I am doing a TSS cycle on my 5 gallon right now so its on day #8 - so 6 more days or so before I test that one. I hope that one is successful, then if it is, I will buy another bottle for my 36 gallon. Right now I am just a little skeptical.

BTW Lucy, CUTE picture of your cat in the tank! Never noticed that before!!!

Junne

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So how long do you think with me doing the pwc do you think this will last, based on my current water readings?
Looks like mid way by your readings.
Something to keep in mind, Seachem states on their website that using Prime may give you a false ammonia reading (of .25, I beleive).
So I can't be 100% sure.
Your nitrates will raise as the cycle moves along.

I am doing a TSS cycle on my 5 gallon right now so its on day #8 - so 6 more days or so before I test that one. I hope that one is successful, then if it is, I will buy another bottle for my 36 gallon. Right now I am just a little skeptical.
I hope it is too.
Can't blame you for being skeptical.
Something also to keep in mind is we can never be sure SS has been kept at the correct during shipping etc.

Hang in there! Cycling can be really frustrating!

BTW Lucy, CUTE picture of your cat in the tank! Never noticed that before!!!

Junne
LOL, Thanks!

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you Lucy! I sure hope its not much longer

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom