Day #13 - looks like baby Mystery snails are coming!

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Teeny Tiny ones - I saw a few that have hatched. Hopefully, the barbs have not noticed them....

Wish us luck for a good batch this time around!

HappenStance

How exciting, good luck! Are you planning on moving some to a different tank? I used to throw a few into a 2.5gal until they were large enough not to get eaten.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
HappenStance said:
How exciting, good luck! Are you planning on moving some to a different tank? I used to throw a few into a 2.5gal until they were large enough not to get eaten.
I was considering it at first but these things are sooooo tiny!!! How in the world do you "catch" them???? Plus, I have a 5 gallon ( not set up but could use a seeded filter ) if need be - only thing is, there probably won't be enough bioload to keep the cycle running.
what did you use in your 2.5 gallon to keep the ammonia levels up and cycled?

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
You might be able to suck them up with a turkey baster. I believe many people keep some spare media in a filter or a spare filter on the main tank when the QT is not in use.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Eienna said:
You might be able to suck them up with a turkey baster. I believe many people keep some spare media in a filter or a spare filter on the main tank when the QT is not in use.
Yeah I have a few extra media in my two filters - ready if and when the need arises
I just wonder if the cycle will sustain itself with such little bioload ( well at least until the snails get big )
I'll have to think about this....

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
RogueAgent94 said:
The adult mysteries would do it if you continued to feed them.
Good to know!!! And yes, they eat zucchinI almost daily! They are piggies!!!

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Snail babies yay go Gigantor congratulations.
Hope your naughty barbs haven't spotted them yet.

I've never seen snail babies how small are they?

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
That is too cute maybe mine will make some babies one day although I have no idea what sexes they are.

How fast do they grow?

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Depends on what you feed them, what temperature they are kept in, and how big of a tank they are in. Mine were in a heavily planted 70g at 80*F so they grew really fast.

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
What do you feed yours? Mine are in tank that is covered in algae but day 14 of TSS cycle tomorrow so I will be able to finally clean it can't wait

frodo11

Had 150+/- hatch in a 12 gal tank (10 fish) ... after the hatchlings grew a tad I moved 10 to a heavly planted 36 gal tank (many, many guppies) ... culled the "left overs" in the 12 gal down to about 10 ... now, 3 weeks later, the 10 in the 36 gal tank are 2 to 3 times the size of their brothers and sisters still living in their homeland. Must be the availability of more food.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Yup super tiny like Rogue said, grains of sand ( or I think they kind of look like small mustard seeds with the brown coloring ) ..... I am going to do another pwc change today - did a thorough gravel clean on Saturday but want to do another one today as I probably won't be cleaning the tank for another 2 weeks until everyone is hatched, etc.

I can't get any pics - they are way in the back of my tank this time

On another note, the last batch that's 2 months old are about the size of a tiny pearl - there's one that the shell is yellow but really translucent - you can see the organs and I think the heart or something beating/pumping away.... really neat.....

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
That's pretty cool oooo now I want snail babies lol my list of wants is getting longer every day
This isn't snail related but I'm very excited I just found out my fiancé got offered a new job with a pay rise I'm so proud of him I already told him we should get a new table

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Magoo said:
This isn't snail related but I'm very excited I just found out my fiancé got offered a new job with a pay rise I'm so proud of him I already told him we should get a new table
Don't forget a new fish tank too
Congrats!!!!!

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Thank you Junne he asked what I would put on a new table and I just giggled I'm thinking either two smaller tanks or one huge one. Once the table is in the rest will be a breeze my mts is raging again

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Magoo said:
Thank you Junne he asked what I would put on a new table and I just giggled I'm thinking either two smaller tanks or one huge one. Once the table is in the rest will be a breeze my mts is raging again
I think you should get a nice big tank - say maybe 50 gallons or so for a community tank. Then you can use your Fluval for the snail tank

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
That sounds like a good idea Junne as I think I will need a bigger tank eventually for my multiplying endlers well that's going to be my angle anyway

M0T0

That is amazing. So very soon you will have a tank full of these little guys or what? I think some day I will put my snails together In the same tank.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
They are slowly hatching one by one!!! lol -

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Looks like at day#16 and no more have hatched - I believe I only saw a few and most of the egg clutch is still there ( 85%? )
Don't know what happened to the babies?????

So do you think I should just leave it alone and maybe more will hatch?

What's the likelihood of any more after all these days??????

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Break the clutch open. Could be that the inside eggs hatched and you are just seeing unhatched ones on the surface.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
RogueAgent94 said:
Break the clutch open. Could be that the inside eggs hatched and you are just seeing unhatched ones on the surface.
Nice try!!!
You can't wait for me to get my mitts in there and otherwise, cut/break/peel that clutch open...

Um...... no....

Junne

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
RogueAgent94 said:
But the little babies on the inside could dehydrate and DIE!!!

I'll have my hubby do it tomorrow
It's because it is living that I can't bring myself to cutting it open - I am a wus that way............ I can't squish pond snails either or throw them out, etc.......
I can't even boil lobster

tunastrack

Well Known
jwebbe said:
It's because it is living that I can't bring myself to cutting it open - I am a wus that way............ I can't squish pond snails either or throw them out, etc.......

Usually your the one giving me advice on these lil critters....lol...But I think this time I can chime in here. Listen to Rouge!!! I waited (like your doing) and my inside babies died as well. I broke open the clutch a day ago and had tiny little shells however none of them seem to survived. They looked as if they has dried out ...I waited just about a week to do it. So if ya want to try and save the ones in the middle I would just break it in half I promise you it won't hurt them .

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
I'll let the cooks boil the lobsters. I like to eat them but I don't think I could bring myself to boil them alive.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
tunastrack said:
jwebbe said:

Usually your the one giving me advice on these lil critters....lol...But I think this time I can chime in here. Listen to Rouge!!! I waited (like your doing) and my inside babies died as well. I broke open the clutch a day ago and had tiny little shells however none of them seem to survived. They looked as if they has dried out ...I waited just about a week to do it. So if ya want to try and save the ones in the middle I would just break it in half I promise you it won't hurt them .
Thank you - I WILL try today and if not, then have hubby do it later.........

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
okay... I DID the deed!!! And here's a picture to prove it - LOL - sorry about the quality, its way in the back and hard to get a good shot of.
It wasn't as bad a I imagined... it was very dried out though despite me trying to keep it wet and keeping up the humidity.
I did notice some black spots in the clutch ( assuming those are the new babies ) a few dropped in to the water ( unnoticed )
so we'll see - I am going to srape the rest off but I think I got most of it now

egg clutch 9-22-12.jpg

Junne

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
kb9plc said:
so how many babies do you think are in your tank somewhere?
I'm thinking from this clutch maybe 12 or less?

My last clutch I know I have at least 3 of them - they are now the size of 1/4 carat diamond

I probably have about a dozen MTS babies in this tank as well.......

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
jwebbe said:
okay... I DID the deed!!! And here's a picture to prove it - LOL - sorry about the quality, its way in the back and hard to get a good shot of.
It wasn't as bad a I imagined... it was very dried out though despite me trying to keep it wet and keeping up the humidity.
I did notice some black spots in the clutch ( assuming those are the new babies ) a few dropped in to the water ( unnoticed )
so we'll see - I am going to srape the rest off but I think I got most of it now

egg clutch 9-22-12.jpg

Junne
I'm proud of you Junne and I'm sure your snail babies are grateful

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Thank you!!! It was difficult but FOR THE BABIES!!!

kb9plc

Well Known
jwebbe said:
I'm thinking from this clutch maybe 12 or less?

My last clutch I know I have at least 3 of them - they are now the size of 1/4 carat diamond

I probably have about a dozen MTS babies in this tank as well.......
That's a lot of mysteries!!!

Magoo said:
Just think you touched the clutch next it'll be bloodworms
I second the

Tweezers. Very long tweezers.
(never mind the fact that i'm probably allergic to touching them.... but even if I wasn't: yuck!)

tunastrack

Well Known
YAYY!! So proud of you!!! I did the same thing as you did by leaving the clutch in the water. So far I am up to FIVE confirmed babies now...On her very 1st clutch so I am very proud of her. She has about 5 other clutches yet to hatch although one looks really close. I just need to figure out how to do water changes with a vacuum now..I'm scared of hurting them?????

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
tunastrack said:
YAYY!! So proud of you!!! I did the same thing as you did by leaving the clutch in the water. So far I am up to FIVE confirmed babies now...On her very 1st clutch so I am very proud of her. She has about 5 other clutches yet to hatch although one looks really close. I just need to figure out how to do water changes with a vacuum now..I'm scared of hurting them?????
I did lots of vacuum and water changes BEFORE the babies hatched ( I timed them figuring around 10-14 days they would start )
After they hatched, what I did was use a turkey baster to suction and blow the water back on to the gravel - this way it gently lifted the debris up and I could hover the vacuum over it. Usually the snails are heavy enough where they are suctioned on to something and they won't float up as easily. I still do that from time to time and of course, use the end of the turkey baster to stir up the gravel and let the stuff float up so that my vacuum can get it.

tunastrack

Well Known
jwebbe said:
I did lots of vacuum and water changes BEFORE the babies hatched ( I timed them figuring around 10-14 days they would start )
After they hatched, what I did was use a turkey baster to suction and blow the water back on to the gravel - this way it gently lifted the debris up and I could hover the vacuum over it. Usually the snails are heavy enough where they are suctioned on to something and they won't float up as easily. I still do that from time to time and of course, use the end of the turkey baster to stir up the gravel and let the stuff float up so that my vacuum can get it.

I knew you would have an answer for me .

I had been sick with the flu for about a week and (I know I am terrible) because my fry tank was the only one I have actually had long enough to be fully cycled let it go a few extra days. And then guess what?? The snails hatched!! (just my luck!). So needless to say it is getting pretty bad.

I too have been using a turkey baster, but never even thought of stirring the stuff up. So thank you (again). I think I'm going to take the fry out to do this change so I may as well grab as many of the babies as I am able to find as well..

Oh is this your thread?? I am so sorry...lol..Luv ya~!

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
No worries
Hope you feel better!!!
Good luck with the fry - you can always use the baster to "catch" the fry AND the snails if you can find them!

tunastrack

Well Known
jwebbe said:
No worries
Hope you feel better!!!
Good luck with the fry - you can always use the baster to "catch" the fry AND the snails if you can find them!
LOL....My fry???...These sillies are the type to just swim right into the darn net...They are such lil brats!! Every single time I get in there to grab a bigger one to move it to the grow out tank I ALWAYS get the tiny ones in with them. But I am going to give it a try on the snails.

I will also be very careful when dumping out the old water to make sure I didn't suck any up. Which is why I am taking out the fry, I usually leave the fry in and rubber band a piece of cut out fish net netting to the opening of the vacuum. But I'm afraid that if a baby does get sucked up it will be crushed by any rocks or gravel that comes up with it.

Thanks I am feeling a lot better now. If I could just get rid of this cough and runny nose I would be in heaven!!

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Are you using a bucket? If so, its much easier to find the babies. I use a bucket for my 6 gallon Betta tank and I always get a handful of MTS snails in it ( they're little itty bitty babies ) so its better than using the water changer and having it go down the sink

I have to be very careful with the 36 gallon. Tomorrow I am changing the water ( mostly to take out some of the decor ) because I plan on taking the barbs to their new home at the lfs. They are hard to catch so everything has got to come out - meanwhile trying to be careful since I just had a few newly hatched ones in there.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
kb9plc said:
That's a lot of mysteries!!!

I second the

Tweezers. Very long tweezers.
(never mind the fact that i'm probably allergic to touching them.... but even if I wasn't: yuck!)
Actually, I am disappointed because there's a potential of having at least over a 100 from the clutch but because I have the barbs eating them and others that just don't make it, there's not many left. I am rehoming my barbs hopefully tomorrow so if and when Gigantor has another clutch, its probably going to be more snails

tunastrack

Well Known
jwebbe said:
Are you using a bucket? If so, its much easier to find the babies. I use a bucket for my 6 gallon Betta tank and I always get a handful of MTS snails in it ( they're little itty bitty babies ) so its better than using the water changer and having it go down the sink

I have to be very careful with the 36 gallon. Tomorrow I am changing the water ( mostly to take out some of the decor ) because I plan on taking the barbs to their new home at the lfs. They are hard to catch so everything has got to come out - meanwhile trying to be careful since I just had a few newly hatched ones in there.

yep I am using a bucket. I scored a ton of buckets at the dollar TREE so I was like WOW $1?? I'm getting a ton of these! lol..The only downside is they are black so its a bit harder to see inside. I just had a thought to shine a light in as I was typing this tho so that should work. lol.

I'm ss for high jacking your thread! But I do have one other question. I posted over on the "Snail" forum about a problem I'm having with Pappa snail. Could you go take a look and let me know what ya think?

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
tunastrack said:
I'm ss for high jacking your thread! But I do have one other question. I posted over on the "Snail" forum about a problem I'm having with Pappa snail. Could you go take a look and let me know what ya think?
No worries check it out in a bit and thanks for the friends request

Junne

New Threads