Day 1 with most of the fish/snails/shrimp - Whew!

JaneGael

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been cycling this tank since before Thanksgiving (got sick and had to cycle it a second time as it got neglected) and I am soooo ready for it to be full of critters!

Yesterday I went out and got 12 glowlight tetras and introduced them to the tank. My snails also arrived in the mail. I was expecting 10 (read the auction wrong) pea-sized babies and received 13 3/4" bruisers. I put two each into the two larger betta tanks (keeping a sharp eye for abuse) and let everyone settle in.

Today I got 12 neon tetras, 7 ghost shrimp and one cherry shrimp (all they had left.) They have all been introduced into the tank and are swimming or wandering around. The ghost shrimp have found the algae wafers and are chowing down. I discovered the glowlights didn't care for the fish flakes I bought, so I picked up some Omega One Color MinI Pellets for them. Aside from the false juliI cories and a couple of otos my tank is complete.

I need to do some more aquascaping and have a few plants still sitting in pots that were to go into the Spec V that didn't get ordered. I found a marvelous resource for plants on EBay. is an awesome person to deal with and usually has buy 2, get 1 deals. I'm not going to do anything for at least a week to let everyone settle in. Boy, it sure is nice to look at a tank with actual fish.

29g, Filters: Aqueon 20 &

image.jpg

OP
JaneGael

JaneGael

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's fun to look in and see life. I adore tetras and only recently discovered glow lights. They are adorable with their little headlights. I have seen one shrimp once. I don't know if they are hiding or they all went belly up. I'm not sure how to find out either, aside from draining some of the water and poking around.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like my glow light's and neon's also but what I really want in the future are the red nosed tetras, they are so striking with their black/white tails.

Shrimp are really good hiders and so I wouldn't worry about trying to find them. If one dies, you'll be able to find it pretty easy by poking around. Also, when they shed their skin you might think one has died but it will be clear and in the shape of the shrimp.

I thought I only had two left when I was moving them to keep my fry tank clean and then out of the blue I found a third one I didn't know I still had.

Sounds like with those schools you could use a centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on all the new babies. The tank looks good . I also love tetras myself and have glowlights, embers and neon tetras. Great little fish. Alison

OP
JaneGael

JaneGael

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
I like my glow light's and neon's also but what I really want in the future are the red nosed tetras, they are so striking with their black/white tails.

Sounds like with those schools you could use a centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami.
I was thinking of a dwarf gourami, so you must be psychic. I wish I could put angelfish in with the tetras because they would look amazing, but since they aren't really very angelic it will have to remain a dream.

Ps. I will keep looking for the shrimp.

OP
JaneGael

JaneGael

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
aliray said:
Congrats on all the new babies. The tank looks good . I also love tetras myself and have glowlights, embers and neon tetras. Great little fish. Alison
Thank you for the compliment. I've never aquascaped before but thought I'd try doing something with the deer antlers I've had for years. Tetras are amazingly beautiful. I think it would be marvelous to live someplace where they live wild.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only problem I see in living where they do is the bugs are too big. I watch too much national Geographic and animal planet. Alison

OP
JaneGael

JaneGael

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like big bugs too. LOL When I lived in south Alabama I was always horrifying people by picking up the giant waterbugs that look like roaches and the awesome weird but harmless mole crickets. I found a gorgeous black slug that looked like velvet that I never could identify. I know... Eeeewwww!!

New Threads