Question Daughter wants a Betta. (need help)

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
okay my daughter is 6 1/2. Her teacher did a drawing on who in her class would get the class fish Lenny. (a betta) Well she didnt win. she is very sad and talked nonstop for weeks before about wanting to get Lenny. I would like to get her one but we cant really afford to buy a new tank, but we have a unused 1.5 gal. tank. would that be big enough for a betta until we can save enough money to buy a bigger one if we ever can? The tank previously had 6 molly frys in it and that was about a week and half ago. we stopped running the tank after we moved the fry into a 10 gal. tank. i turned the filter back on and did a partial water changed two days ago in case we got the Betta from her class. Let me know what i should do and tips on keeping a healthy happy betta. i do not plan on ever breeding this fish and it will be a male if we get one.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi red
1.5 is pretty small. it's hard to keep the water a consistant temp and the water can foul quickly.
Here's our Betta Care Guide
Imo, a 5g is the smallest I'd go.

Good luck!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your long-term plans for the 10g and fry? You could divide the tank in half and keep a betta in one side.

Check craigslist or freecycle, yard sales and even Goodwill for tanks on the cheap. I've found 55g tanks complete with all equipment *and* stand for $160 on craigslist!

-Lisa

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
we plan on giving away or selling the fry when old enough. we have two female mollies so we are sure we will probably have constant fry in there. would that still be okay for a betta to share the tank with a divider in it?

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sounds good to me but my question is i've seen that bettas need different water treatments then other fish so can a betta and mollies share a tank that has been divided? i mean what i use for the mollies water the betta will be exposed to also the other way around

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They are tropical fish, and generally have the same requirements (they do like the water to be closer to 80, and usually don't touch flake foods), but it should be fine, provided your mollies are freshwater and have not been used to brackish water. I had one of my boys in a divided community with him on one side and he was fine until his tank was ready and didn't bother with the other fish he could see.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom