Daughter got a baby betta. 5 Gallon Tank

1. MrFishFood Member Member

Three days ago I bought my daughter a baby betta from Petco. Normally, all the babies would not have any noticeable color, but this one caught my eye as she had color. She was also older than the rest. She was basically an impulse buy on the way home from an auto parts store.

Anyway, she is in her new home. Still working on what substrate and decorations to put into tank. In her cup, she did not seem very active at all. The tank she is in is a 5 gallon fluval chi. Everything is new and the filter has been seeded with some biomax from a well established filter. I still need a heater, but the room is 78° to 82°F right now. She did enjoy searching and exploring her new home. She is fun to watch and very active.

Will also be getting a cover for the chi to help keep evaporation lower and to help prevent her from jumping out.

My daughter named her plum. She is about an inch long.

Sent from my M470BSA using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Nice set up! What a lucky little Betta!

You clearly have everything figured out with the lid and stuff :) good luck! :)

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That looks like a lovely home for your little girl, until you get your lid I'd lower the water level an inch or so just in case she decides to jump

4. kevymd Well Known Member Member

also given that bettas breath from the air, a lid would be a good choice. They do best when they are breathing moist, humid air. Very nice tank, very lucky girl :)

5. MrFishFood Member Member

The big drawback is the lack of a lid that comes standard. The next drawback is that the pump is contained in the fountain on top of the tank. The placement of the pump prevents the water level from being lowered much. It is currently set just above the minimum water level.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh I see, I didn't know that about the pump placement on the Chi, is there something you could place over the top temporarily?

7. Tonia Well Known Member Member

She is gorgeous!!! I hope the search for a lid and the decision for substrate and decorations goes smoothly. I'm glad she found you and your daughter to bring her home.

8. MrFishFood Member Member

I believe we have settled on white sand substrate with natural gravel and an Anubis nana.

I have some mesh screening that I believe will work temporarily as a cover.

Sent from my LGL34C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. renthus Well Known Member Member

If you have a Lowes near you, you can get a piece of glass cut to the proper size. The glass should be less than $5, and the cutting is free. The one bad thing is that they don't cut notches (I forget if the chi needs one). If you're clever, though, you can have them take the excess from the class cutting, and cut two more very small pieces to cover the back corners. If you're even more clever, you can buy some glue and hinges so you can flip up the corner pieces.

10. MrFishFood Member Member

The planter is filled with natural colored gravel from my main tank and two small cuttings of Anubus nana have been planted. I also lowered the water level to minimum.

11. kittykat0725 Member Member

great job! happy to here that you didnt put him in a bowl like some cruel people

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. MrFishFood Member Member

Added a 50 watt heater as the temperature in the room now requires one.

The betta is very active and curious. She is all over the tank checking things out.

13. MrFishFood Member Member

I also think what we thought was a she is a he. This fish showed what I thought was an ovapositer, but now that appears to have turned from white to dark.

There is a lot of flaring in the morning as well. This shows a fairly sizable membrane.