Data Logging And Tank Tracking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dagoothebetta, Jun 18, 2017.

1. dagoothebetta

dagoothebettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +57
    Experience:
    Just started
    I was curious if anyone keeps any sort of logs of tank parameters and the like. What else do you keep track of? I'm terrible about writing things down. I'd love to see the data people keep. I'm a software developer and have been messing around with Python and some graphing libraries and would love to get a hold of some long running logs to try and graph them and see what other kind of stuff I can do.

2. Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +453
    Experience:
    1 year
    I've been writing down all my testing results and some of my med treatments and dates of adding some of my fish because my memory is dreadful and I'd be lost on detecting changes when I can't even remember breakfast never mind a test result from last week!

I downloaded the aquaPlanner app and had intended to use that for all my tracking but I just haven't had the time to set it all up yet.

My nerd side does love a good graph so I'd love to follow anything you come up with :)

3. BHK3

BHK3Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +696
    Experience:
    2 years
    I was wondering if there was any good app or program to track them too. I've just been putting them in a basic spreadsheet. I have a drop-down showing what type of test it is (tap water, before water change, after water change, etc), the date, and then the type of result (PH, GH, nitrates, etc).

4. dartzy

dartzyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    This is a rough calender I made using Excel. I've not finished tweaking it but it shows the general idea. Sorry if pic is blurry. 452f5b45f034c8f76d101da28aab60d5.

5. OP
    OP
    dagoothebetta

dagoothebettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +57
    Experience:
    Just started
    I haven't found any free applications. I can try and make one probably with Qt 5 and Python 3, then in theory it should run on all desktop platforms. Though anything I usually develop just targets Linux because that's really all I use. I'm not the best at GUI design but the back end shouldn't be to difficult, until I over think everything like I usually do. I'd love to get a hold of some spreadsheets that I can mess around with.

6. dartzy

dartzyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    Only app I have tried is Aquarium Note and frankly, it was a bit too complicated for not-tech savy, me. It seemed good though.

7. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I used an app on my iMac called Maquarium. You can track parameters, which is customizable to whatever you test. You can just do the basic ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, but you can also add gh, kh, ph, temp, phosphate, copper, and so on and so on. You can also track your tank inhabitants, by fish, invertebrates, and plants. When you enter a species, it also provides information about it. I never really did much digging to see how accurate it is though.

There is probably more you can do, but that's all I can remember while still waking up. A downside is that it's an OSX app without an iOS counterpart, so I had to write down my results and then go on my computer and log them in. If I could do it on my phone, I might still use it.

Edit: I just remembered that you can track equipment too and how much it cost. I did that when I first got into the hobby. Those dollars added up fast!

8. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,721
    Experience:
    2 years
    I also have that memory thing . I created a spreadsheet, no way to remember everything. I track water parameters, water changes, additions of fish, fert dosing, etc.. I have tried 1 app to much to setup. My spreadsheet works just fine.

9. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,150
    I have never tracked my tanks but with 5 and two more to come I've been thinking about actually logging it myself so I can graph each tank and know exactly where everything is. It's beginning to get muddled up and dates anymore I've completely lost track of when things happened. I probably should have done it as soon as I started since I moved to a completely different area with completely different water than my previous 25 years of fish keeping lol.

10. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,672
    Experience:
    2 years
    I use Aquarium Planner Pro app on IPhone. It is amazing. Tracks everything, you can keep track of budget, feeding, chemistries, stocking the whole thing. I would be lost without it.

11. IAmTracyLee

IAmTracyLeeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    THAT'S REALLY COOL

12. IAmTracyLee

IAmTracyLeeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I started a notebook on day 1. I keep track of additions and deaths. The good and the bad. I keep track of all the water test and changes. It's an interesting read for sure!

13. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +412
    Experience:
    4 years
    I use Aquarium Note. I think it's great. No more complicated than using Facebook or messenger on your phone.

Become a Fishlore Member