10 Gallon Tank darn diatoms!!!

jingles230
well my little ten gallon nano has just finished cycling about a week ago and those darn diatoms are everywhere on the rocks on the sand and some on the glass but the snails are doing alright with that, and on my corals right now I just have a green star polyp and kenya tree but anyway they are every where and I need to know what kind of fish or invert or whatever can control it and by the way in some little spots on the sand that are like 2 or 3 inches in diameter are kinda green and it almost looks like the diatoms are dieng in that area but idk.

plz help.

locoyo386
Well if they are indeed diatoms and not cyanobacteria, they will go away on their own, unless you are using water that keeps adding silicates in the tank?

Also, the micro and even macro critters that live in the rock and sand will sonsume them.

Stang Man
I have not even seen a diatom in years! wow! First question are you just using this diatom just for cycling?

jingles230
well what is cynobacteria??? I just looked in my tank this morning and that circle that is kinda green is getting larger it looks like the diatoms on the sand are dyeing.

locoyo386
jingles230 said:
well what is cynobacteria??? I just looked in my tank this morning and that circle that is kinda green is getting larger it looks like the diatoms on the sand are dyeing.
The simple way to explain it is; that stuff that looks redish and looks slimy and kind coats an area of sand or rock. Different than algea.

Without a picture, I can't really say what it is.

Stang Man
It just means that the filter is doing it's job as the diatom matures you will see a lot of different colrs just try to keep it away from bright light just let it continue to mature with bactria and all is good just don't let diatom get to dirty before cleaning are oyu just using this for filtering?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom