darn ammonia!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by jallshouse, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jallshouseNew MemberMember

i am still having trouble with my ammonia i have been doing 30% water changes everyday for over a week and i cant get it below 2.0. my nitrites are at .25 and nitrates are 5.0 so basicailly nothing has changed. i know i am still cycling but shouldnt i see a drop in ammonia with the water changes?

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like your cycle is stalling for some reason. I would suggest you use amquel plus as your water conditioner when you do water changes until your ammonia drops. I may have already asked you this, so please humor me if I have, but is your ammonia test a yellow to orange or yellow to green test?

3. OP
    OP
    j

jallshouseNew MemberMember

thanks gunnie....yes i am using the aquarium pharmaceuticals freshwater master test kit. any ideas on why i am stalling? i know i asked this before but its your turn to humor me haha :p should i be vaccuming the gravel? i have done it twice, and not sure if i should? i have read that i should do it everytime and also only about every six months

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I was thinking your cycle was stalling because you were vacuuming the gravel when you did water changes. A lot of your bacteria will be in that gravel. I don't think vacuuming only twice would have been a problem, but don't do any more until the cycle is done. Once you have enough bacteria in your filter media, gravel vacs will not be a problem, and you definately will want to vacuum at least a fourth of the gravel each time you do maintenance on the tank. ;)

5. OP
    OP
    j

jallshouseNew MemberMember

the second gravel vaccuum was actuailly just me going over the top to get up some of the old food lying on the surface. i still have all the original filter media which i havent touched at all. im i throwing any clues to whats wrong lol? i am going to order some amquel tonight from petsmart, my local store dosent carry it as far as i know. one more question along with the above....does the amquel take place of the aquasafe i am using?

6. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Yes, the amquel can be used as a dechlor. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice