darn ammonia!

jallshouse

Reaction score
I am still having trouble with my ammonia I have been doing 30% water changes everyday for over a week and I can't get it below 2.0. my nitrites are at .25 and nitrates are 5.0 so basicailly nothing has changed. I know I am still cycling but shouldnt I see a drop in ammonia with the water changes?

OP
J

jallshouse

Reaction score
thanks gunnie....yes I am using the aquarium pharmaceuticals freshwater master test kit. any ideas on why I am stalling? I know I asked this before but its your turn to humor me haha should I be vaccuming the gravel? I have done it twice, and not sure if I should? I have read that I should do it every time and also only about every six months

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I was thinking your cycle was stalling because you were vacuuming the gravel when you did water changes. A lot of your bacteria will be in that gravel. I don't think vacuuming only twice would have been a problem, but don't do any more until the cycle is done. Once you have enough bacteria in your filter media, gravel vacs will not be a problem, and you definitely will want to vacuum at least a fourth of the gravel each time you do maintenance on the tank.

OP
J

jallshouse

Reaction score
the second gravel vacuum was actuailly just me going over the top to get up some of the old food lying on the surface. I still have all the original filter media which I haven't touched at all. I'm I throwing any clues to what's wrong lol? I am going to order some amquel tonight from petsmart, my local store dosent carry it as far as I know. one more question along with the above....does the amquel take place of the aquasafe I am using?

New Threads