Darn, accidently bought non-aquatic plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by AspiringAquarist, Mar 18, 2010.

1. AspiringAquaristValued MemberMember

A while ago I bought the Peacock Fern and Gold Ribbon live "aquatic" plants at Petco until I found out that BOTH of them are not really aquatic plants and will rot when submerged...

I put them in my tank and threw out all the packaging and stuff, so there's no way for me to repackage it and try to return or exchange it... :(

What should I do? Should I take it out of the tank or just cut the leaves that are rotting?

Gosh, what a waste of $10...:'(

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I'd rip them out & throw them away. They will just cause more problems than they are worth.

3. Nate McFin

Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

I told my Petco today I didnt appreciate them selling non aquatic plants for aquariums. They just stared blankly. Did I actually expect anything different??:)

4. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

+1. Sorry you got ripped off.

I've had the employees actually try to convince me that they are all aquatic plants when I've brought that up. LOL

5. cajunfiberco

cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

Are you talking about those plants that are in little cylinder plastic containers? I was looking at those and wondering also b/c I would like newbie plants but wasn't sure if they were true aquatic plants

6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Our petsmart and Petco order their plants as assorted bundles of plants so when they get them they have no idea what their getting so I'm really careful what I buy. you live and you learn , we've all done it I think.
    Carol

7. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

A couple of them in the plastic cylinders are fully aquatic plants, but I believe most aren't. :( I've made the same mistake. I think legally, they get by because they list that they're appropriate for "aquariums and terrariums" or something like that.

Anyway, that's why it's really nice to have an iPhone or some phone with internet access so you can quickly google the requirements of any plant you come across and are interested in buying. >.> I keep walking into my local Petland and really liking the look of their Purple Waffles and have to keep reminding myself that it's not an aquatic plant. :(

If it helps your future shopping, pretty much anything at Petco that is variegated (i.e. more than one color of green) and *looks* like a houseplant generally *is* a houseplant and not suitable for the aquarium.

8. ilikefishValued MemberMember

I really love the look of the Aluminum Plant... I bought one when I was a noob >.< but you live and you learn... anyway... I decided to just toy with it in my plant tank... And *so far* its doing ok... no crazy dieing but no dramatic growth... But I have a pot next to the tank on standby ^^

9. OP
    OP
    A

AspiringAquaristValued MemberMember

Well, I didn't expect this thread to get revived :)

And yes they were the ones in the clear cylinder tubes. I left them in the tank and the Gold Ribbon seems to be doing fine. However my fish quickly ate up the Peacock Fern and now it's just the stem... lol

Today I went back to Petco and went back to the "aquatic" plants in those tubes. I found an 4" Amazon Sword and bought it :) I think that the Amazon was the only one in the whole section that was genuinely authentic. And yes, when I got home the packaging said that they were for aquariums and terrariums. Probably the majority were intended for a terrarium.

I recommend that when you guys go to big retail chain stores to buy plants, buy the plants from the tanks. Those are more likely aquatic.

10. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

That's what you'd think and it's generally true, but my Petco also keeps the variegated ones with the thin leaves in the tank for some reason. My local Petland also keeps purple waffles in their tanks, to my chagrin.

11. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Sometimes, but I see the purple waffle and mondo grass and stuff like that in the tanks too. My advice is to always Google it before you buy unless you know exactly what you're buying, because there are so many plants at chain stores that aren't aquatic.

*edit* NINJA'D ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice